VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

JohnDistai

POSSIBLE COVID RELATED TALKGROUP
New talkgroup activated with new RID/UIDs on it not heard before. Users talking about not usually using radios for several months. They do not sound like normal radio users or NG. Using military type callsigns like Bridge, Wolverine, Squeaky Nest, Skylab, and a set of ten codes I'm not familiar with. Indicated two talkgroups active now, but only heard the one.

Talkgroup 51565 RID 2160703 and 2160704 seem to be command/control 2062015-2062018 users (Called RC's)

Copy of audio can be heard HERE

What equipment are you using to pick that up and get those graphs?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

I do not understand what you mean by graphs, I'm using my TRX-1 and Pro-668 (with Whistler mod) to listen to and record the traffic, I'm using TRX Android Suite to log the traffic.

JohnDistai

I do not understand what you mean by graphs, I'm using my TRX-1 and Pro-668 (with Whistler mod) to listen to and record the traffic, I'm using TRX Android Suite to log the traffic.

They aren't graphs. They're signal peaks in the audio files. But that answers my question at least.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Two unknown TGIDs off of Crowder's Mountain VFD tower in Gaston
18622 - Not very active since 4/3/20
18601 - Not very active but at last 3 transmissions per day

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Listening to Viper recently it seems SHP AIR TG 52127 is actually two channels in one. The basic TG is in the clear, but they also have a "Channel 2" while the same TG number is strapped with encryption. Been hearing it for awhile now.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Listening to Viper recently it seems SHP AIR TG 52127 is actually two channels in one. The basic TG is in the clear, but they also have a "Channel 2" while the same TG number is strapped with encryption. Been hearing it for awhile now.
Is that only in the Raleigh area?
I never pick anything up in the Charlotte area

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is that only in the Raleigh area?
I never pick anything up in the Charlotte area

I'm sure it is system wide, I have sometimes heard them from central/western NC (affiliated to the Raleigh towers) using the same. Just depends where the air operations have a mission, that is the tower they will be on. With one of the bases being in Raleigh at the NCSHP Training Center radios are often affiliated to the Raleigh towers from across the state.

Since Charlotte has a helo they may cover that area more so than the SHP.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I'm new to digital scanners
Would there be a possibility I hear them here on the Crowder's Mt. VFD tower if they're on a mission in the Wake area?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to digital scanners
Would there be a possibility I hear them here on the Crowder's Mt. VFD tower if they're on a mission in the Wake area?

Short answer...No, probably not. There would have to be a SHP Air Unit (ground or air) on that TGID in that area for the radio to affiliate.

Tobydog

Sticking my scrawny neck out here, may be FEMA folks who might be using the system. They do have some access and use some weird callsigns from being around some of the locations. Just making a guess here

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Sticking my scrawny neck out here, may be FEMA folks who might be using the system. They do have some access and use some weird callsigns from being around some of the locations. Just making a guess here

Haven't heard them since and I honestly think they were NCPHS folks. But we will probably never know.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Does anybody know why Sentinel is not loading Charlotte UASI Mecklenburg County System. This system an another system is not loading to the national Database in Sentinel. And kindy hard to find. It's not listed under NC trunked Systems

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
In sentinal go to North Carolina, then to Mecklenberg County, then to county systems, and there you will find the Charlotte UASI system. It's there. I just checked.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know why Sentinel is not loading Charlotte UASI Mecklenburg County System. This system an another system is not loading to the national Database in Sentinel. And kindy hard to find. It's not listed under NC trunked Systems

Look under Mecklenburg County, it is not a statewide system.

UPDATE: SORRY @simmsrep you posted while I was typing.

JohnDistai

Does anyone in the Raleigh area have an SDS 200 they have tweaked to be really well performing? If so, can we please connect for some tips? My 996XT runs circles around it and I'm hoping to get them a little closer in performance. Thanks!