VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
Will the Radio Shack Pro-96 receive the 700 MHz channels? Win-96 software lets me program the channels into the radio, but I wonder if it is actually tuning them?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Will the Radio Shack Pro-96 receive the 700 MHz channels? Win-96 software lets me program the channels into the radio, but I wonder if it is actually tuning them?

A look at the RR Wiki shows the frequency range (in part) as 406-512, 806-960, this would indicate it was not designed for the 700 MHz band.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Gaston County Fire Center is having issues with both UASI and VIPER systems at the moment. Can't send tone outs through the console to either system or the VHF patch for county fire pagers

richardbritt

Database Admin
A look at the RR Wiki shows the frequency range (in part) as 406-512, 806-960, this would indicate it was not designed for the 700 MHz band.

I have a several Pro-2096 and 96 units. They are deaf on the 700 Mhz VIPER freqs even if I stand at the antenna site.

Sorry for the bad news. Luckily only a few are on 700 here where I am but I know I'll need to get new scanners when Phase 2 kicks in eventually anyway.

Regards

Richard

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have a several Pro-2096 and 96 units. They are deaf on the 700 Mhz VIPER freqs even if I stand at the antenna site.

Sorry for the bad news. Luckily only a few are on 700 here where I am but I know I'll need to get new scanners when Phase 2 kicks in eventually anyway.

I totally agree with you, if you look at my original post it says NOT DESIGNED for 700 Mhz.

" A look at the RR Wiki shows the frequency range (in part) as 406-512, 806-960, this would indicate it was not designed for the 700 MHz band. "

georgew0819

Was noticing I hadn't heard Lexington PD all day and checked log files to find they are encrypted today as well. Had a thought maybe, just maybe it's a glitch with SDRTrunk but when running Viper in DSD+ a short time ago both Davidson SO and Lexington PD were still showing up as encrypted.

Last edited:

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Was noticing I hadn't heard Lexington PD all day and checked log files to find they are encrypted today as well. Had a thought maybe, just maybe it's a glitch with SDRTrunk but when running Viper in DSD+ a short time ago both Davidson SO and Lexington PD were still showing up as encrypted.
Keep an eye on the channels for a week or so before submitting anything to the db. They could be doing a CMPD thing and temporarily encrypting during times of high social tension.
Really hoping the encryption virus hasn't spread.

georgew0819

Keep an eye on the channels for a week or so before submitting anything to the db. They could be doing a CMPD thing and temporarily encrypting during times of high social tension.
Really hoping the encryption virus hasn't spread.
Will do that..hope it's like you said a CMPD type thing since the had been in the clear before today. Just have to wait and see what the next week or so brings. Still hearing NCSHP and lots of TGs in the clear which is good!

ScottE22

georgew0819,I agree,hope my county and surrounding don't move to encrypt,the info I'm hearing, is,at least in the foreseeable future,it's not...

Ham654

After talking to the tech for Davidson they have both thrown the "E" switch for DCSO and LPD and it will be permeant. Not complaining but my SDS200 just become less valuable. Hope everyone is doing well during this icy time in central NC. If this post is not allowed I will remove it.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
After talking to the tech for Davidson they have both thrown the "E" switch for DCSO and LPD and it will be permeant. Not complaining but my SDS200 just become less valuable. Hope everyone is doing well during this icy time in central NC. If this post is not allowed I will remove it.
You're okay keeping it I believe, is fire/EMS and maybe small towns police still an option? Obviously SHP, federal surrounding counties possibly?

JTMax

Premium Subscriber
It's a sad day for us in Davidson county. No local agencies to hear now except EMS and Fire. Glad I didn't invest in a new scanner. No point to it now at least in my county.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
It's a sad day for us in Davidson county. No local agencies to hear now except EMS and Fire. Glad I didn't invest in a new scanner. No point to it now at least in my county.
I mean the county might be a near loss, however there's still plenty to listen to on Viper and local repeaters

JTMax

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but will your feelings be the same when your county goes silent?