VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

georgew0819

Pretty much yeah. It's gonna suck if my county went down, but there's still plenty of other things out there!
Some of the most hilarious radio traffic I've heard has been listening to other non LEO tgs on Viper. Sometimes DOT, PW, Imap and others Agency users forget they're on a radio and go off on a rant or babbling conversations. Even with Davidson County LEO now encrypted I've still logged just over 336 transmissions on 774.44375 since 8am. So I'd have to agree there still is a lot of traffic out there to listen to.

JTMax

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad that you enjoy hilarious radio traffic but my main focus was public safety awareness around the area that I live. I could also log hundreds of transmissions if I wanted to monitor Rowan County or other nearby counties. At least there is still SHP traffic that can be monitored in my county even though it little to contribute to safety awareness of events that are occurring in my community.

ScottE22

Does the VIPER system have a fallback protocol when it fails?Does it have some form of talkaround,or direct function?I know some agencies still have their legacy radios in their units....

ScottE22

Another question,Rutherford Co Sheriffs Dept is patched to VIPER,but I notice certain units sound clear,don't have that"VHF patched" sound,can some units utilize VIPER without being patched,and still be heard on the same TG as the patched units?I even heard officers talking about switching over on their VIPER,to talk on their TAC channel....

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
The new Fire Station being built off Lillington Hwy Spring Lake will be on Cumberland co fire dispatch group, and will be dispatched as Station #11 (Viper)

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Another question,Rutherford Co Sheriffs Dept is patched to VIPER,but I notice certain units sound clear,don't have that"VHF patched" sound,can some units utilize VIPER without being patched,and still be heard on the same TG as the patched units?I even heard officers talking about switching over on their VIPER,to talk on their TAC channel....

Fortunately I can monitor them here in Cleveland County on their VHF channel as well as VIPER. I do know that most of the VHF traffic is not patched. I have both radios sitting here side by side and the VHF is very active with little on VIPER most of the time. And yes, some of the VIPER patches are hard hear.

ScottE22

Fortunately I can monitor them here in Cleveland County on their VHF channel as well as VIPER. I do know that most of the VHF traffic is not patched. I have both radios sitting here side by side and the VHF is very active with little on VIPER most of the time. And yes, some of the VIPER patches are hard hear.
I notice sometimes their VIPER feed goes silent,reception issues I assume,but have heard some interesting situations unfold,wild county,lol...

ScottE22

Noticed this evening a RCSD deputy was having issues with bad reception,said he switched to VIPER,asked if it was any better,which it was,so they must have the ability to switch between their VHF-patch and straight VIPER,wonder if they will ever go all viper with some of the reception issues they have....

basstuba

Premium Subscriber
Picking up traffic on 52691 some type of law traffic anyone out there have an idea what this talk group is?

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Picking up traffic on 52691 some type of law traffic anyone out there have an idea what this talk group is?
52xxx is multiple different departments/agencies and not a specific one, we'd probably need quotes from the traffic or mp3 audio
Also, what area in the state are you located in? What site was the transmission(s) captured off of?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
June-Dec 2020 VIPER newsletter available at

Interesting read. There is over 2000 talkgroups out there no one has logged and reported to the database (4300+ on VIPER and about 2100 in RR database). Also, looks like there were a number of changes to the statewide talkgroups we haven't noticed. The newsletter reports that "The new VIPER Mandatory Statewide Template was approved by the SIEC and distributed in Q4 2020, includes significant changes in the DPR plan, the total number of state event talk groups, the inclusion of LE Only talk groups as well as the removal of roamer and pool talk groups."

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber

Interesting read. There is over 2000 talkgroups out there no one has logged and reported to the database. Also, looks like there were a number of changes to the statewide talkgroups we haven't noticed. The newsletter reports that "The new VIPER Mandatory Statewide Template was approved by the SIEC and distributed in Q4 2020, includes significant changes in the DPR plan, the total number of state event talk groups, the inclusion of LE Only talk groups as well as the removal of roamer and pool talk groups."
Here's a wiki that has previous publications in it as well. I will continue to try to keep the future ones updated in there as well.

I really do want to know what the updates to DPR and statewide event TGs they'll bring

GMB951

Premium Subscriber

Interesting read. There is over 2000 talkgroups out there no one has logged and reported to the database (4300+ on VIPER and about 2100 in RR database). Also, looks like there were a number of changes to the statewide talkgroups we haven't noticed. The newsletter reports that "The new VIPER Mandatory Statewide Template was approved by the SIEC and distributed in Q4 2020, includes significant changes in the DPR plan, the total number of state event talk groups, the inclusion of LE Only talk groups as well as the removal of roamer and pool talk groups."
Interesting new IDs to figure out will give me something to do

Last edited: