VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
Is it just no audio or no radio IDs appearing? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just need a little more information

I know your not. No big deal. I'm not getting any TG or voice for Camden SO on VIPER. All other agencies I listen to on VIPER come in with no problem. Thats why I am thinking they switched TG, went with the big E or are no longer on VIPER

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I looked on the county's DB page, is it possible they're under the dispatch of Pasquotank like the fire department? I'm not from the area so I'm not sure how the layout is over on the East side of the state

reconrider8

your best bet would be to grab unitrunker and a sdr or find someone local with a setup running and see how the setup is for viper there with said agency. if you dont see any activity on said agency look at maybe another system they could be running on maybe?

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
I looked on the county's DB page, is it possible they're under the dispatch of Pasquotank like the fire department? I'm not from the area so I'm not sure how the layout is over on the East side of the state

I figured it out. VIPER is a little weird. You have to set it to the site to pick up Camden SO. I guess they only run off that one tower.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Tobydog

Using xts5000 non-affiliated scan and whistler 1040. All radio id's correct from comm center

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New 700 MHz license grant issued to the NC State Highway Patrol/VIPER tower located at 905 SIKES AVENUE, WADESBORO, NC ANSON County at GPS 34-58-32.9 N, 080-04-43.9 W. Can't tell if this changes the frequencies on the Wadesboro (2-86) tower from 800 MHz to 700 MHz, or if this is a new tower as the GPS location seems to be different than that in the RR database. Has anyone heard this change yet?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
New 700 MHz license grant issued to the NC State Highway Patrol/VIPER tower located at 905 SIKES AVENUE, WADESBORO, NC ANSON County at GPS 34-58-32.9 N, 080-04-43.9 W. Can't tell if this changes the frequencies on the Wadesboro (2-86) tower from 800 MHz to 700 MHz, or if this is a new tower as the GPS location seems to be different than that in the RR database. Has anyone heard this change yet?

Based on FCC data it looks like the 700 MHz tower HP-1005 located on Sikes Ave is different from the 800 MHz tower HP-1293 located on Andrew Jackson Hwy.

Tobydog

Davidson law channels are encrypted on VIPER. Fire & EMS are in the clear on VIPER & VHF patches. What kind of scanner are you using? Davidson uses a simulcast that is often difficult for most scanners to properly track due to hardware limitations/design used to decode the Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM).
Thanks, VHF still plugging away on XTS5000 so I will see when 800 XTS comes back from programming as to what may happen. Uniden unit will be in place this coming week so will also try that.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
For those in eastern NC, been hearing radio traffic on Viper Statewide Bravo 2 TG 51960, regarding a possible plane crash with debris in the area of Albemarle Sound. Unknown if this is training or actual search, radios being used are EMOC radio IDs 204xxxx but heard callsigns for "Coast Guard", "Sonar Vessel", "1961" and "Command".

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
For those in eastern NC, been hearing radio traffic on Viper Statewide Bravo 2 TG 51960, regarding a possible plane crash with debris in the area of Albemarle Sound. Unknown if this is training or actual search, radios being used are EMOC radio IDs 204xxxx but heard callsigns for "Coast Guard", "Sonar Vessel", "1961" and "Command".

Reports are coming back that a seat and pieces of foam were found.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Will have to do some checking on this but off the (TWC) tower Fort Bragg Fire units doing radio checks on #1 (61409)
Looks like the new Viper Talk Group(s) will be to assist several counties such as cumberland.Harnett,Hoke,Lee ect

Last edited:

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Ok still trying to find out what going on Fort Bragg doing their Fire /EMS dispatching of Tg (61409) at this time