Viper system / Statesville system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjones28677

Premium Subscriber
Hope I am posting this in the right location?
New to digital
Both Viper and Statesville have the same listings
("APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive")
How do you know if Motorola system?
I ran into one that told me that Statesville is Motorola?
I have been instructed to change Statesville to Motorola
If I picked Motorola or standard p25 they both seem to work?
Just wanted to make sure that I have the system programmed right for best reception and groups
Thank You

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hope I am posting this in the right location?
New to digital
Both Viper and Statesville have the same listings
("APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive")
How do you know if Motorola system?
I ran into one that told me that Statesville is Motorola?
I have been instructed to change Statesville to Motorola
If I picked Motorola or standard p25 they both seem to work?
Just wanted to make sure that I have the system programmed right for best reception and groups
Thank You
Both systems you list are P25 Phase I. You did not indicate which scanner you are using, but there should be programmed as P25. FreeSCAN calls this, for the older scanners, "Motorola/P25". Is that where you're seeing Motorola?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
P25 systems use an "open architecture" system standard which means any radio manufacturer can use the same technology. That's as in the software driving/coordinating the system. Motorola is but one manufacturer that can produce P25 radio system equipment.

The thinking behind an "open architecture" is to allow governments a choice of equipment providers and system maintainers. Theoretically it keeps prices a little more competitive.

Any radio equipment purchased as part of government grants has to be P25 compatible for interoperability reasons.

That said, there are "true" Motorola systems, which are older systems. The software/computer coding for these such systems is Motorola propietary. That means once a "true Motorola System" has been installed, the owner is locked into Motorola for future radio purchases.

As noted above, FreeScan is a good choice for programming software. If you become an RR premium subscriber, FreeScan can access the RR database and capture the correct information, including system type, for the system(s) you wish to program. This is the best of way getting data and avoiding setting wrong information.

Status
Not open for further replies.