Virginia Beach ORION system band plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

covert53

Dude
Premium Subscriber
Heading to VB in a few days and getting my comms ready. Is ORION a standard or custom band plan? I ask because I recently had a fit with trying to figure out the Culpeper/Fauquier/Rappahannock system only to later learn it was using a custom plan. Trying to get ahead of that issue here. Thanks in advance!

tvengr

Well Known Member
What model scanner are you using? Re Fauquier/Culpeper/Rappahannock: Any Motorola Type 2 system with 851, 852, or 853 MHz frequencies must use a custom rebanded band plan.

Last edited:

covert53

Dude
Premium Subscriber
What model scanner are you using? Re Fauquier/Culpeper/Rappahannock: Any Motorola Type 2 system with 851, 852, or 853 MHz frequencies must use a custom rebanded band plan.
996P2 and (hopefully) my 325P2 if i get it back from Uniden in time. Also, would a 396XT (TTIV) work?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The standard band plan will work just fine for 700 & 800 MHz. Standard band plan works OK on my 325P2 & 996P2 on 700/800 systems. Virginia Beach/ORION is a P25 Phase 1 system which the 396XT will receive OK.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Quick question for those who monitor the Virginia Beach site on the ORION system. Worcester County Md is reporting frequent tropospheric ducting interference on their new Harris P25 P2 system that shares 7 (of 8) frequencies with the Virginia Beach site. Users are unhappy, and their county commissioners are frustrated. I'm curious if Virginia Beach is suffering similar interference from Worcester County? It's so bad they are considering rebanding their brand new system (if they can find the channels.)

Last edited:

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Quick question for those who monitor the Virginia Beach site on the ORION system. Worcester County Md is reporting frequent tropospheric ducting interference on their new Harris P25 P2 system that shares 7 (of 8) frequencies with the Virginia Beach site. Users are unhappy, and their county commissioners are frustrated. I'm curious if Virginia Beach is suffering similar interference from Worcester County? It's so bad they are considering rebanding their brand new system (if they can find the channels.)
I don’t think I’ve heard of any complaints. I think they’re was a similar problem years ago with Somerset County and Hampton. Interference and I think they actually had to change the frequencies, not 100% though

mdozier9

Premium Subscriber
Virginia Beach is still mostly using 800 Mhz equipment. There is nothing special about their configuration. For several years now, I have had a VB remote receiver site with Two RTL Dongles running on an HP T620 Thin Client. I run trunk_recorder on Ubuntu 18.04. All that content gets uploaded to OpenMhz (https://openmhz.com/system/vabeachva). I was not aware of the neighboring interference complaints. From what I've heard, VB is fairly happy with their radio network, with the exception of encryption upgrade costs.

VBScanner

Premium Subscriber
Virginia Beach is still mostly using 800 Mhz equipment. There is nothing special about their configuration. For several years now, I have had a VB remote receiver site with Two RTL Dongles running on an HP T620 Thin Client. I run trunk_recorder on Ubuntu 18.04. All that content gets uploaded to OpenMhz (https://openmhz.com/system/vabeachva). I was not aware of the neighboring interference complaints. From what I've heard, VB is fairly happy with their radio network, with the exception of encryption upgrade costs.
How long have you been doing the recording? Do you keep them? Thanks! Very interesting!

mdozier9

Premium Subscriber
How long have you been doing the recording? Do you keep them? Thanks! Very interesting!
I've been running the backend for VB for about 3 years now. I don't keep any content as I just upload it to OpenMhz. Content is typically available for 3-5 days from that site. I also run the backend radios for several other systems in Virginia including Chesapeake, STARS(Div 3, 5, and 6), Nelson County, Wintergreen, Buckingham County, Lynchburg, Bedford, Amherst County, Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, and National forest. All content is uploaded to OpenMhz. One of these days I will get around to setting up a local archive server.

Status
Not open for further replies.