Virginia Beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty new to this radio stuff so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently joined Virginia Beach EMS as an EMT from another state. I tried programming the frequencies here on Radio Reference into the trunking scanner I have in my truck. For some reason they're not working. I can hear the tones for each 911 call but not the dispatcher. Can anyone assist? I'm using a Radioshack Pro-197.

bep

Premium Subscriber

kjtittle84

On a side note talking about the Orion system I heard Virginia Beach Fire unit talking to VDOT operations on ORION COVER5. Does anyone know if VA Beach Fire use this TG all the time or does it change? I'm listening to the peninsula ORION site btw not the Virginia Beach Orion site.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Cover 5 is VDOT SMART Traffic, Norfolk FD, Chesapeake FD, and VBFD, Hampton FF and NNFD use that channel whenever they're responding to calls on the Interstate. Smart traffic controls all the cameras on the interstate for Hampton Roads, so they can give more info on interstate accidents.

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
Be sure you are using the ORION Site 2 Overlay Regional InterOperability Network (ORION) Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
You will need a scanner capable of receiving a digital signal

This is where all Fire and EMS are now located.I believe the tone-out system is not broadcast to be able to hear (could be wrong). Only the mutual aid military bases are toned out now.

That's probably the issue. I didn't have that one programmed and I was wrong on the radio - it's a Pro-163 which seems to be analog with a digital display. Guess I'm in the market for a digital scanner now. I need to find a cheaper one though. :/

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
Should the Fire and EMS talkgroups be removed from the SMARTNET system listing in the database?

Since ORION is Phase 1, a used scanner at a lower price might be feasible.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Cover 5 is VDOT SMART Traffic, Norfolk FD, Chesapeake FD, and VBFD, Hampton FF and NNFD use that channel whenever they're responding to calls on the Interstate. Smart traffic controls all the cameras on the interstate for Hampton Roads, so they can give more info on interstate accidents.

Add Portsmouth Fire to that list as well, just caught them on SMART traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.