Virginia coastline channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

I am the type that doesn't like to program an entire bandplan in for a select area, Does anyone have the frequencies and what their usage is for Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News communications?

Eugene

They are all trunked. Newport News is P25, Type2 but right now only fire TAC 8 is using P2, All others still P1. Virgina Beach will soon be encrypting all LE. These are in the database and are accurate.

Eugene KG4AVE

NS9710

I'm talking about the boats and ports, the marine operations of boats in and out of the ports, not public safety and such.

They are all trunked. Newport News is P25, Type2 but right now only fire TAC 8 is using P2, All others still P1. Virgina Beach will soon be encrypting all LE. These are in the database and are accurate.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

And if , since you are in the Maritime section...….
Channel 06, Channel 08, Channel 16 Hail, Channel 13, Channel 18A, Channel 22A CG, Channel 23A CG, Channel 68, Channel 72, Channel 81A, Channel 83A CG used during Harborfest.

1 - Virginia Pilot Assoc. will call out to approaching ships (at a point where they think they'll be in radio range) on Ch-16. Some answer at first, some don't--another attempt will be made later. As well as I can tell, these calls are often made before ships enter the approach lanes to the Bay, but the ship is probably visible to AIS. Once contact is made, the ship is asked to switch to Ch-14, where various factors are discussed possibly including its maximum draft, anticipated time for pilot boarding and scheduled arrival at its destination. The Pilots Assoc. is already aware of the PLANNED times via the ship's agent. After initial contact, the ship is asked to guard 14 & 16, and call Va. Pilots an hour prior to its expected arrival for pilot pickup. Pickup instructions will be given at that time.

4 - Once a pilot has boarded a ship and is ready to get underway he will call Norfolk Joint Port Operations (sometimes referred to as "Jayhawk Tower") on Ch-12. This is why you always hear American English from these ships. Once he's announced his intentions, he will be asked for the ship's IMO number, it's last port of call, the number of people onboard, and if all are in good health. If the answers suit--and they usually do--the ship will be given permission to transit to its destination in the Port. NOTE: Most often, I'm finding that this permission is asked and given when the ship is close to the COLREGS/Inland demarcation line. The entry channel (Thimble Shoals) begins right around here.

One thing I did notice was that once contact was established on 16.....the Maryland Pilots would go to 14 and give directions on where and when to pick up pilots ("have ladder 1.5 meters above water with heaving line). Didn't catch where they stopped, but the Virginia Pilots went to12 and seemed to stop vessels between buoy 14 and 16 of Cape Henry to pick up pilots.

Eugene KG4AVE

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I am the type that doesn't like to program an entire bandplan in for a select area, Does anyone have the frequencies and what their usage is for Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News communications?

When I pass through, Ch. 16 is the best bet. Besides calling there to move to another channel, one get many warning from moving USN vessels. But if you are trying to hear from Petersburg, you may only hear USCG base stations as the ship's antennas are too low for your distance. The same is likely true for much of the commercial shore facilities. When I drive in, there is a great difference in the last 10 or 20 miles or so coming down I-64.

NS9710

Thank you for your help, Eugene, from time to time I go to the pier down there in Hampton with my cousin and her husband while they fishe I watch the boats in and out of the piers/ports, so I want to keep track of what I'm seeing, I'm more so the type that finds it amazing something that large and heavy can float up on the water.

Eugene

As am I with airliners. If that's the case if nothing else you will want the 16/14/12 combo as they will literally be right there.

Eugene KG4AVE

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Just remember that if you're in Hampton or Newport News, you're inland and the primary channel is 13 156.650. I think you're supposed to announce intentions on both 13 & 16, but just remember you're inland once west of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. They may also talk to JHOC on 12 156.600. When departing, I've found that they usually check in with JHOC on 12 about 30 min before departure, and then announce intentions on 13 156.650 about 10-15 minutes before pulling out.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.