Virginia Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkrzrbacks

Going on vacation and not familiar with scanning VHP, are you still able to listen or is it not encrypted? I use a radioshack pro 106. Thanks

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Yep, you can still listen. There is very little encryption:D. There are 2 systems in operation at this time. The commonwealth is in the process of converting radio ops to the new STARS system. What part of the state are you coming to? Some areas are using the legacy VHF system, while others (Richmond and Chesapeake) have switched to STARS.

Here are both links.
Virginia State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Ask if you have more questions

Todd

WA4MJF

Also, VA has no Highway Patrol, that function is done by the Virginia State (sic) Police.

JoeyC

I'm also making the trip from Alexandria to Richmond (I-95) then to Williamsburg (I-64) week after next. What sites on the STARS do I need to program to cover these areas? I planned on putting in all the VSP conventional freqs but I can't tell whether the drive to Williamsburg is part of the Richmond and/or Chesapeake division or neither.
Thanks!

mikext

Vsp

VSP in the Williamsburg area are covered by the VSP 5th Div. in Chesapeake. If you are programming STARS into your radio you'll want to put the Williamsburg, Hampton and Richmond tower sites in.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Also put in Thornburg and Fork Mountain. You'll want your conventional. Fairfax and Culpeper (Fredericksburg area) Divisions are still conventional. The rest of the way is STARS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.