Virginia Prince William scanner decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8vaf4

I am in the market for getting a new scanner & I am in a toss up between the Radio Shack model 97 analog (on sale this week for $150) or getting a model 96 digital or possibly the 2096 (please note that if you have a better recommendation, by all means post up). Purpose - Listening to general police/fire/rescue traffic and possibly getting into other freq's that never knew were there. I used to be happy with my old scanner, but it doesn't receive anything over 512 MHz (yeah, its that old) but everyone either went 800 analog or 800 digital. It seems that the new models don't have stalker II to search for channels or am I wrong? Post up, lets hear it from the locals & others with the Pro's/con's of these models. Thanks. n8

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Prince William County is on a digital system, so you'll have to go with a digital scanner. Most of the other public safety systems in the NOVA area are digital as well. The pro-96 is a digital scanner and should work well.

Towpro

Hello "n8vaf4".....

I can only speak of the 96 & the 2096, GRE/Radio Shack radios. I reside in western Pr. Wm. & have no complaints. The "win96" software makes it easy to program & use, here is the link so you can look into it...... http://starrsoft.com/software/win96/default.asp ........

I work in Fairfax County & use a pro-2096 here as well. I monitor Pr. Wm. from work & the reception is great, just using the indoor antenna with it. Of course there are pros & cons of a Pro series scanner vs. a Bearcat scanner which has newer technology. I imagine the Bearcat boys will speak up....lol.

Good luck on deciding, tuff choice to make, shelling out 5 bills plus software to get going :)

gcgrotz

By all means, pony up the extra money for digital, you won't regret it. Keep the old scanner for monitoring air traffic and state pd until they go digital (soon).

Yes, the Unidens have "Close Call". I have used mine some on the PRO83 but not often enough to remember how so I have to get the book out. I haven't tried it on the BCD396 yet.

Good Luck and Welcome!

RESCUE4NFD

Scanner Decision

Just my $0.02 ,I"m waiting until all the rebanding is done before I spend BIG bucks for a new scanner.I want to be SURE what radios can be flashed and I don't think it's 100% right now ,no matter what the scanner dealers say!I want NO surprises............

Status
Not open for further replies.