Virginia skip questions from Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpaul71

Hi folks,

I've been enjoying some reception from Virginia today on 39 mhz. Wonder can anyone help answer some questions.

First one is about Allegheny County 39.5mhz - I heard two dispatches on this frequency - one identifying as "Warm Springs" the other as (what I think was) "Horse Mountain" (?) - can anyone confirm for sure that these are Allegheny County? The first had a PL of 141.3 while the second was 110.9.

Heres a recording of that one: 39.5 Alleghany County VA EMS 2011-11-14 1640.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Second question is about Police heard on 39.54 a dispatch called "1880 on SIRS" and asked them to contact Fort Pickett PD - anyone have any idea where this was coming from? I could hear the mobile weak and the dispatch very well.

Any help or information would be very interesting.

Best wishes from Ireland -

Paul Logan Mi3LDO

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Awesome! SIRS stands for State Interoperability Radio System (I'm pretty sure) and is simple CSQ analog communications on 39.54. All state Troopers have a low band radio in their cars on that frequency as do many local law enforcement agencies around the state so they can talk to each other easily.

Awesome!

I think it's amazing that you can receive across the atlantic!:D
What kind of radio are you receiving on?
Also, what antenna(s) do you use?

MOTORHEAD3902

With regard to the 39.54 traffic, I will confirm you were hearing Nottoway County Sheriffs Office calling one of our state troopers on the statewide common channel. The trooper in question works out of the same office I do.

kc4jgc

With regard to the 39.54 traffic, I will confirm you were hearing Nottoway County Sheriffs Office calling one of our state troopers on the statewide common channel. The trooper in question works out of the same office I do.

I bet your fellow trooper will have trouble believing he was heard in Ireland. Think he'd QSL Paul? ;)

Nice catch, Paul! Do you have a recording of that exchange?
BTW, Horse Mountain is in Allegany County, just outside Covington.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Oops

Steve, click his link above. That's the Allegheny County EMS.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

Also Paul,
Warm Springs is in Bath County, which borders Allegany County to the north.
BTW, what antenna & cable are you using with that ICOM?

Frank,
If you're referring to Paul's audio file I heard that ... I was curious if he had a file on the SIRS traffic.

Last edited:

misterpaul71

Thanks Guys

Hi folks,

thanks for the information regarding my VA receptions. Fun and games continued today with an even higher transatlantic MUF which brought signals so good they were easy copy on a handheld scanner!

Thanks especially to Motorhead for confirming Nottoway County on 39.54 and Steve for the info regarding Horse Mountain etc.

For those who asked Im using an inverted L for low VHF its about 20 feet vertical and 20 horizontal of wire. Ground mounted on a fishing pole,no radials, but an earth rod sunk a few feet down. Its fed with cheapo rg58 coax through a home made unun wound on a t-200-6 core (good up to 50 mhz)

If i had more understanding neighbours id have something like a log periodic for these frequencies but the L is kind of inobtrusive and is working fine. I also use attic dipoles.

Im spoiled here - im in a good location for hearing North America and in the mornings I hear Russia / middle east / Africa etc.

You guys should be looking to the east :) sadly low VHF isnt used too much over here so im not sure how much there is to hear from western Europe.

In any case, great to see the solar cycle doing its thing again

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Paul,

Very interesting that you are hearing some of the same things we do. Welcome to "Viginia"!!!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Ah, got it, thanks. I interned at the VSP Admin. HQ radio shop but forgot the precise acronym.

Status
Not open for further replies.