Virginia STARS scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question about scanning Va. STARS system, I know that there are scanners that can scan the STARS system but my question is this, How practical is it to scan this system. Being that it is a trunking system are you able to catch entire conversations? such as catching an entire conversation of trooper to dispatch - dispatch to trooper - then trooper traffic again... Or does it tend to catch in the middle of the traffic?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
As long as the system is programmed correctly, you won't have any problems scanning it and getting the entire conversation also. The situation you're describing happens when you're trying to scan a trunked system with a non-trunking radio - getting only pieces of conversations. Programming the system can seem a bit daunting, but there are plenty of folks on here that can help you through that. ;)

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Like BoxAlarm said as long as you have a trunking scanner that can decode P25 and is programmed right you should have no problem with receiving any broadcast on STARs. I live in Norfolk and can easily pick up DGIF out of Richmond with no problem with my 396xt.

Status
Not open for further replies.