Virginia STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
I am using it, and it works very well. I monitor the FFX and CUL VA STARS Talk Groups on 151.3925, 152.2025, and 152.5475, and have excellent results. The audio is very good, and signal levels are good with an appropriate VHF antenna. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: btt

sambo300

Premium Subscriber
When I had my HP2,5 years ago I could get VA STARS. Now with my BCD536HP.......tried it tonight...07/18/21. No Luck. I'm in the Elizabethton,TN/Bristol,VA area. Do not know what has changed. Any ideas,anyone?

sambo300

Premium Subscriber
Deleted? They are officially encrypted or moving freq's? Miss listening to their traffic. I could usually get them from the Abingdon site.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
VA STARS is still active. I have had hundreds of calls on the VA STARS 150MHz trunks today alone. They are not encrypted, but they are P25 version 1 trunking and cannot be heard with an analog scanner. They have some analog VHF low-band and SIRS channels, but I do not really listen to them, and they are only infrequently active from what I am told.

sambo300

Premium Subscriber
VA STARS is still active. I have had hundreds of calls on the VA STARS 150MHz trunks today alone. They are not encrypted, but they are P25 version 1 trunking and cannot be heard with an analog scanner. They have some analog VHF low-band and SIRS channels, but I do not really listen to them, and they are only infrequently active from what I am told.
I may have to check my antenna.....even did an ANALYZE and couldn't find a signal. Time to drive to Abingdon with the mobile,I guess.

fredva

Feed Provider
When I had my HP2,5 years ago I could get VA STARS. Now with my BCD536HP.......tried it tonight...07/18/21. No Luck. I'm in the Elizabethton,TN/Bristol,VA area. Do not know what has changed. Any ideas,anyone?

I may have to check my antenna.....even did an ANALYZE and couldn't find a signal. Time to drive to Abingdon with the mobile,I guess.

Make sure you have a fairly recent update from the database in Sentinel.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
STARS isn't fully encrypted and most of state police is currently clear, unfortunately they're in the process of replacing all their radios to the APX series and upgrading the system. They plan to go full time encrypted once complete.

fredva

Feed Provider
STARS isn't fully encrypted and most of state police is currently clear, unfortunately they're in the process of replacing all their radios to the APX series and upgrading the system. They plan to go full time encrypted once complete.

That's the first time I've seen that they plan to go fulltime encrypted. Has that info been posted in the Virginia forum?

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
That's the first time I've seen that they plan to go fulltime encrypted. Has that info been posted in the Virginia forum?

Someone posted something similar a few months ago. Unfortunately my source is reliable. Most of the older radios on STARS (XTS5000 and XTL5000 series) already have AES with the option to to talk clear or encrypted, the APX's will be strapped.

TJX400

To clarify, no specific manufacturer has won the bid yet... The rumor that encryption will be included in the procurement is correct. Once the bid winner completes their upgrades to the current system, the entirety of STARS will be P25 Phase 2 capable, and all Virginia State Police talkgroups will be encrypted. Given how slow the government moves, I wouldn't expect this to happen for another few years. There's a high likelihood that Motorola will win the bid, however that has not happened as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.