Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS)

Hbright

The radio ID’s, the shorter ones are XTL/XTS and the longer ones are APX. For example the Division 5 dispatcher IDs used to be 58556 now they’re 6999xxx
I saw a mobile’s RID last night in Division 7 that was 600xxxx. Source says newer FPIUs are being outfitted with APX8500s.

On another note, Division 7’s “county radios,” XTS5000s issued by Fairfax Co, have 410xxxx RIDs. I also seen one county radio in Area 45 with a 313xxxx RID (presumably issued by Arlington Co).

TJX400

I've never been able to get a certain answer, but I assume they're going to be asking localities to allow them to have their new 8500s and NEXTs on county systems.

They're no longer installing SIRS radios in the newest explorers. SIRS is still pretty heavily relied on by agencies out west to get in contact with the trooper working their county.

So it's my assumption with that info that they will be making that move at some point. Especially given how much easier it is to make programming changes OTA with the NEXTs. No reason to get multiband radios if you're not going to use them with all bands.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I've never been able to get a certain answer, but I assume they're going to be asking localities to allow them to have their new 8500s and NEXTs on county systems.

They're no longer installing SIRS radios in the newest explorers. SIRS is still pretty heavily relied on by agencies out west to get in contact with the trooper working their county.

So it's my assumption with that info that they will be making that move at some point. Especially given how much easier it is to make programming changes OTA with the NEXTs. No reason to get multiband radios if you're not going to use them with all bands.
Around the 757 they’re going to have to have multiband because they use ORION for Interop with the localities