Virtual control of the 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So it looks like I need a female/female adaptor. My Question is can this set up you have here be reversed? Go from the serial port on the scanner to the USB on the computer?

My hardware knowledge isn't the greatest, so I'd defer to those with more on whether the placement of the null modem adapter can be.

ke4ah

Since it has been a month since my original question, I thought I would give everyone an update. I am using Proscan and the USB cable plugged into the FRONT of the 536HP. It is working fine. I have complete virtual control of the scanner. However, here is what I have learned. Don't bump the USB cable. I use the scanner desktop so this is not a problem. Don't unplug the USB cable while Proscan is running. When I first started using Proscan a month ago, without thinking, I unplugged the USB cable from the front of the scanner. I was going to use Sentinel to do some programming. Proscan froze up. When I realized what I had done, I closed Proscan. After completing the program with Sentinel, I unplugged and plugged the USB cable back in, selected "NO" and started Proscan. It would not work. I saw no display on the virtual 536HP and after a few seconds "NO RESPONSE" came up on the virtual display. Even restarting the program, Proscan would not recognize the port. So, I turned the computer off, waited a moment and started it back up. In the meantime, with the USB cable unplugged, I turned off the scanner, waited a moment and turned it back on. After the computer finished booting up Win 7 64 bit, I plugged the USB cable into the scanner (I heard the audible announcement through my speakers that Win 7 recognized the scanner. I then selected (.NO) and heard the alarm telling me the USB had been disconnected but immediately heard the audible that it had re-recognized the scanner. I started Proscan and it worked fine. A total of 2 times have I made this mistake. Repeating the sequence has solved the issue. Nutshell: Don't unplug the USB cable with Proscan running. This has been my only issue using the front USB port to virtually control my 536HP. Luckily, I did not have to buy a serial card, modem cable, or anything else.

I hope this helps.....

Alan H. - KE4AH
Haleyville, AL

ke4ah

A follow up

As I said, my 536HP is working great with the USB cable and Proscan. But, I did a test. I have a USB to null modem cable. I tried it and it works great also. Since it would not work with my Kenwood TS-2000, I never thought about trying it until today. It is actually more stable than using the USB cable in that if you forget to close Proscan and disconnect the cable, you don't have to go through the steps I mentioned to get Proscan to recognize the cable again. And while I don't have ARC536Pro, the Serial null moden to USB cable should work with it. Here is a link to where you can order it:

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN ): Computers & Accessories

Just follow the instructions that are included and you will be ready to go.

Everyone have a safe and great Independence Day!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you sure that is the serial port you connected the scanner to?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might try using your Windows Control Panel - Device Manager to see which port is assigned.

While all computers are different, my USB to Serial port adapter shows up as COM8, so that is what I use for Virtual Control. I too had an initial struggle figuring which port to use until I checked the Device Manager.

oracavon

You might try using your Windows Control Panel - Device Manager to see which port is assigned.

While all computers are different, my USB to Serial port adapter shows up as COM8, so that is what I use for Virtual Control. I too had an initial struggle figuring which port to use until I checked the Device Manager.

From my experience, that's exactly what needs to be done - there's no telling what com port the OS will assign to the adapter, and the port number can change depending on which USB port the adapter gets plugged into. Also make sure that you have the correct port enabled on the radio, and that the baud rates for both the radio and the software are the same.

AB8E

Premium Subscriber
OK 536 Question.... I have read several post and not finding my problems fix...

I have the trial version of ProScan v.7.2 ( Want to see it work before I purchase the Key )

1) I'm using the Serial rear connected to a serial to USB interface No Null-Modem inline.. and
Nothing plugged in the front port..

2) I can control the 536 at the computer it is connected to. No problem

3) I have been streaming to Broadcastify for a couple months.. Connected to the rear of the ex Skr Jack into the sound card .... without the ProScan Program... Everything working fine..

Questions:

1) Do I still have to connect the audio into the sound card on my computer ??
or is there a mode that can pull it from the serial port ??

2) I cant remotely connect to my 536 from a control over IP...
I am in the Server mode on my 536 connected computer...
On the remote computer I am in client Mode.
I see my server and my system in the Published Server column....
but can't connect to it...

What am I doing wrong...please help... Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK 536 Question.... I have read several post and not finding my problems fix...

I have the trial version of ProScan v.7.2 ( Want to see it work before I purchase the Key )

1) I'm using the Serial rear connected to a serial to USB interface No Null-Modem inline.. and
Nothing plugged in the front port..

2) I can control the 536 at the computer it is connected to. No problem

3) I have been streaming to Broadcastify for a couple months.. Connected to the rear of the ex Skr Jack into the sound card .... without the ProScan Program... Everything working fine..

Questions:
1) Do I still have to connect the audio into the sound card on my computer ??
or is there a mode that can pull it from the serial port ??

2) I cant remotely connect to my 536 from a control over IP...
I am in the Server mode on my 536 connected computer...
On the remote computer I am in client Mode.
I see my server and my system in the Published Server column....
but can't connect to it...

What am I doing wrong...please help... Thanks

You do need an audio cable.

Do you have the router port forwarding setup? Is the client trying to connect on the outside IP address and not the 192 (or 10) address.

Status
Not open for further replies.