ARCXT: Virtual Control using ARC XT Pro

genebonhamjr

Hello, I have Uniden BCD325P2 scanner and trying to get ARC XT Pro to work. Everything seems to work fine except for the Virtual Control and logging. I can open Virtual Control but then nothing happens. Scanner is connected to computer and I know connection works because I have uploaded systems from Radio Reference and scanner. Is there something I have to do to get the Virtual Control feature to work? Not getting much help from Support so far. Thanks!

genebonhamjr

Not so far. Driver for XT Pro? Or scanner? Point me in right direction and I will research and do it. Maybe that's the problem. And thanks for quick reply!

genebonhamjr

Mike, I had some issues trying to find driver. On Uniden site, it showed a link to driver, but didn't say it was compatible with Windows10. I tried it but it didn't work. I found some other instructions that had me try to update from Device Manager. So, I went to Device Manager, found the CommPort the scanner is using, and chose update driver. However, after doing that, now ARC XT Pro won't even open up correctly and shows a minimized Virtual Control GUI but it won't allow me to do anything. I fear I have messed something up as now can't get the Pro to work. See attached screenshot. I will continue to research and see how to fix my error.

Attachments

• Driver Screenprint.png
    Driver Screenprint.png
    490.3 KB · Views: 11

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you can upload to the scanner, the driver is not the problem. The driver is for the scanner. It works with both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Uniden Serial Port (COM4) should be your scanner. Go to the Scanner tab in the ARC software, click on Communication Setup, and click on AutoDetect Scanner. Then try virtual control again. That also works if you have problems uploading to or downloading from the scanner.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
If you can upload to the scanner, the driver is not the problem. The driver is for the scanner. It works with both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Uniden Serial Port (COM4) should be your scanner. Go to the Scanner tab in the ARC software, click on Communication Setup, and click on AutoDetect Scanner. Then try virtual control again. That also works if you have problems uploading to or downloading from the scanner.

I thought the same thing but I was having the exact same problem with ARC 536 Pro and it turned out to be the driver. I could upload fine but for some reason the software wasn't recognizing the radio in virtual control mode. I had the driver downloaded on my computer previously but had to reopen it after the computer crashed and had the operating system reinstalled. After I did that it worked fine.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you didnt say if you can see the scanner in vc, if not try checking the comm port and speed and see if they are the sane, if not make them and see what happens. worth a try anyway.

genebonhamjr

Thanks to everyone for ideas! I appreciate it. As you can tell, I'm not the most tech savvy. Got sidetracked yesterday and just now getting back to this and will work on it off and on today until I get it licked. I had to connect scanner to a different usb port for XT to work. It now reads as I "read" systems in scanner and they uploaded fine. "...see the scanner in vc", not sure what you mean. I can open the VC fine, it just doesn't do anything. Assuming it should just start receiving new transmissions on it's own, without me setting anything up in VC? On the new usb port I tried, I went through the setup in XT and it successfully found the port and that seems to be working, see attached screenprint. It's just VC doesn't seem to receive. All ideas welcome.

Attachments

• comm port in use.png
    comm port in use.png
    18 KB · Views: 3

genebonhamjr

AutoDetect takes care of setting both the speed and com port.
Yes, I did AutoDetect and it seems to recognize the com port ok. I have uploaded systems from RR and "read" into XT systems in scanner. Just no action on VC. Puzzling as it seems like it should work fine.

genebonhamjr

Interesting... not getting anywhere with ARC XT PRO, I downloaded trial version of Proscan. Selected the same comm port I was trying to use for XT. Bam, it started receiving transmissions immediately on their version of Virtual Control. Maybe I just need to try to get refund for XT and buy Proscan.

genebonhamjr

I have no problem seeing my BCD325P2 in virtual control using ARC-XT Pro. Do you see it scanning?
No, VC opens up but is not scanning at all, or responding to any input. With ProScan, it began scanning just as soon as I selected comm port, same one I was using for XT.

genebonhamjr

Don't get me wrong, I love ARC XT Pro, and all the other features of Basic works perfect. But, unless I can figure out the issue or what I am doing wrong, the Pro part of the software will be useless to me. I have also tried to reinstall the program, reboot computer, read the complete XT manual, and been in contact with Butel Support, as well as this forum. So far, I can't figure it out. I will keep after it though through the 30 day trial of Proscan to see if can come up with a solution. Probably just some very minor thing overlooked. Appreciate any thoughts that may come to mind. :)

genebonhamjr

Is your scanner turned on when you plug in the cable? It must be on and plugged in for AutoDetect Scanner to work.
Yes sir. It was turned on when I plugged in cable. In Setup, I did the auto-detect for comm port, it found it ok, and seems to be working fine so far as downloading systems from Radio Reference and other tasks in Basic. Just VC doesn't work.

genebonhamjr

Update: Turned the scanner on this morning and opened VC. It began scanning right away. Now seems to be working fine. Not sure why. I have restarted it several times lately. But, no matter, I guess, it's working so we are good. Thank you to all who gave ideas on a fix. Appreciate it!