Virtual Radar (Saving a Log??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I am running Virtual Radar, is there a way to save a log of all the aircraft information I pick up / .Txt log with the information that comes up on the screen so I can go through it and see what aircraft came up when I am not in front of the screen
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I am running Virtual Radar, is there a way to save a log of all the aircraft information I pick up / .Txt log with the information that comes up on the screen so I can go through it and see what aircraft came up when I am not in front of the screen
Steve
I take it there is no way to let Virtual Radar go while i'm out and come back and see what aircraft the program picked up, also is there a indepth help file for this program.
Steve

morfis

What do you mean by running 'virtual radar'?
If you mean you are decoding ads-b type data using something like dump1090 then you could write all of the data outputted from that on port 30003 (or whatever you have it set to) into a csv (or direct into a database) for later processing. It would be possible to do some preprocessing to reduce the data consumption so that you didn't add data if a 24 bit aircraft address was already in the output within a certain time period.

I'd suggest having a look at the discussion section of the FlightAware website for all sorts of different ways of doing this as it's not a new wheel and will have been considered by chaps on there.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I take it there is no way to let Virtual Radar go while i'm out and come back and see what aircraft the program picked up, also is there a indepth help file for this program.
Steve

Did you try Menu --> Reports? You can go to Menu --> Reports --> Todays Flights | Yesterdays Flights, or you can go to Menu --> Reports --> Freeform reports and get a list between dates.

Is that what you are looking for?

Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by running 'virtual radar'?
If you mean you are decoding ads-b type data using something like dump1090 then you could write all of the data outputted from that on port 30003 (or whatever you have it set to) into a csv (or direct into a database) for later processing. It would be possible to do some preprocessing to reduce the data consumption so that you didn't add data if a 24 bit aircraft address was already in the output within a certain time period.

I'd suggest having a look at the discussion section of the FlightAware website for all sorts of different ways of doing this as it's not a new wheel and will have been considered by chaps on there.
Thank you for the information, I am decoding ADS-B with dump-1090, If when you have Vir
Did you try Menu --> Reports? You can go to Menu --> Reports --> Todays Flights | Yesterdays Flights, or you can go to Menu --> Reports --> Freeform reports and get a list between dates.

Is that what you are looking for?

Mike
Yes I did see a report from a couple of days ago but all day yesterday, today all i get everytime I try to get a report for today or yesterday is. No records were found for the criteria supplied.
Steve

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes I did see a report from a couple of days ago but all day yesterday, today all i get everytime I try to get a report for today or yesterday is. No records were found for the criteria supplied.
Steve

@Saint Hmm. If you chose Menu --> Reports --> Todays Flights | Yesterdays Flights, you absolutely should see something. Are you sure that whatever feeds your VRS was feeding it on those days? Maybe it wasn't connected? Do you have the webadmin installed? If so, browse to the webadmin URL and log in. Then go to the Connector Log and see if the receivers you had set up were connected to the source during those days.

I rarely have ever used the Freeform report, so it might be tricky to put the right criteria in and not accidentally exclude what you are looking for. The Todays/Yesterdays flights definitely should give you info. If not, I have to wonder if your VRS is writing to the SQLite database.

Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
@Saint Hmm. If you chose Menu --> Reports --> Todays Flights | Yesterdays Flights, you absolutely should see something. Are you sure that whatever feeds your VRS was feeding it on those days? Maybe it wasn't connected? Do you have the webadmin installed? If so, browse to the webadmin URL and log in. Then go to the Connector Log and see if the receivers you had set up were connected to the source during those days.

I rarely have ever used the Freeform report, so it might be tricky to put the right criteria in and not accidentally exclude what you are looking for. The Todays/Yesterdays flights definitely should give you info. If not, I have to wonder if your VRS is writing to the SQLite database.

Mike
Thank you Mike for all the information, I just found the Virtual Radar Forums site and also all the flags and sill silhouettes and other thing to install into the software so after playing around with the software I going to stick with this software. I'm going to reinstall the software from scratch and reinstall it just in case I messed anything up trying it out. Thanks for all the help everyone, there's a learning curve and I'll get there.(y)
Steve

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thank you Mike for all the information, I just found the Virtual Radar Forums site and also all the flags and sill silhouettes and other thing to install into the software so after playing around with the software I going to stick with this software. I'm going to reinstall the software from scratch and reinstall it just in case I messed anything up trying it out. Thanks for all the help everyone, there's a learning curve and I'll get there.(y)
Steve

You're welcome. Just curious -- how are you feeding it? You have to be either having some ADSB type device connecting to your VRS to feed into it, or you need your VRS to be making an outbound connection to some ADSB type device to fetch the data. Or you have to be connecting to something like a public feed that somebody provides (like adsbexchange.com used to provide). Do you have any connections set up? If not, you aren't going to see a thing.

Mike

Saint

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome. Just curious -- how are you feeding it? You have to be either having some ADSB type device connecting to your VRS to feed into it, or you need your VRS to be making an outbound connection to some ADSB type device to fetch the data. Or you have to be connecting to something like a public feed that somebody provides (like adsbexchange.com used to provide). Do you have any connections set up? If not, you aren't going to see a thing.

Mike
I start DUMP-1090-WIN-1.10.3010, and all the planes that are being picked up come up in the screen, then I start Virtual Radar and the planes show up on the map that are being tracked.

Attachments

• Virtual Radar1.PNG
    Virtual Radar1.PNG
    730.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Virtual Radar2.PNG
    Virtual Radar2.PNG
    611.5 KB · Views: 20

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I start DUMP-1090-WIN-1.10.3010, and all the planes that are being picked up come up in the screen, then I start Virtual Radar and the planes show up on the map that are being tracked.

And, a screenshot or two of what it looks like when you simply select Menu --> Reports --> Todays Flights (and Yesterdays Flights) ?

Your BaseStation.SQB file should be growing over time. Keep an eye on it. If it isn't growing, then for some reason whatever you have coming in via Dump1090 is not being saved by VRS. If your Basestation.SQB file is growing, then something different is going on.

Did you actually fetch / set a basestation.sqb file ? I can't remember, but I think you have to initially. I could be wrong. You might be able to find a basestation.sqb in the PlanePlotter group on groups.io. I think if you have Planeplotter installed you can actually fetch the latest basestation.sqb from planeplotter. Anyway, if you dont' have a basestation.sqb file, you can't save anything. Or, maybe VRS automatically creates one. I just don't remember. Mine is years old and I update it regularly/manually with my own data.

Mike

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I just finished setting up the folders UNDER data sources and that seems to be running ok also I downloaded basestation.sqb file. I think i was having a problem because I have not set up the directories/folders.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    537.2 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.