Virtual Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0IU

Actually got a plane or two.. But nothing like I'm expecting.. Will keep fiddling with it..

Since you are receiving something, logic tells me that it is either a problem with the antenna or maybe the gain setting in the ADSB# program.

Are you using the "dongle-tenna" that came with the stick or did you make the collinear described in the article? I am using the "dongle-tenna" and I have received data from aircraft from 200 miles away.

As far as the gain, I usually just leave the RTL AGC unchecked and the Tuner AGC checked.

For the SQB file, you have to jump through a few hoops. The process is described on the VRS Forum.

Virtual Radar Server Forums • View topic - [STICKY] BaseStation.sqb

Essentially, you have to download a program called sbs-resources: SBS-resources - Helping to personalise your Kinetic Avionics SBS-1

You're not actually going to run the program so you can ignore any error messages when installing it. All you need the program for is the BaseStation.sqb file and you can also use the flags and silhouette files as well. The flags file will display the airline's logo and the silhouette file will display a silhouette of the type of aircraft.The flags and logos may not show up for every aircraft being tracked.

Once you load sbs, just point to the appropriate locations within the VRS options. (You have to type them in manually)

Attachments

• sbs.jpg
    sbs.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,355
  • vrs_3.jpg
    vrs_3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,417

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Well, now Virtual Radar won't start.. Unhandled exception was caught.. Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail..

Oh well, it was fun trying..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Redid the database installation. Double checked all the settings.. It's still not receiving like I think it should with all the air traffic around here so I'm in the process (taking a break to type this) of building the dipole from the article.. Right now I'm using a 440 telescopic whip.. We'll see what happens. Will post my results once I have some..

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Build the J- Pole

I've had great success with the J- Pole build. Receiving aircraft 200 miles away. PM me I'll send you a plan.

combatcomm

I have been attempting to activate VRS without success. I cannot configure my system under the Tools-Options menu. None of my entered data will save. I must be missing a critical configuration step. I would appreciate help with this problem. Thanks!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
What version are you using? Are you using ADSB# as well? What exactly isn't working? Go back, step by step begining in this forum. 1st download ZADIG and install drivers for RTL dongle. 2nd download ADSB# and get it started. I have had sucess with the following settings on ADSB# (Confidence 3/gain off/ppm 100) then click start. Don't change anything when it's running. 3rd start up Virtual radar server. Tool options follow the steps as seen earlier in this forum post. I think somebody posted a youtube on how all this is done.

combatcomm

I am using VRS 2.0 and ADSB#. The RTL dongle works for general spectrum monitoring. I activate the dongle via ADSB#, the display indicates an average of 65 frames/second and designates port identity 47806. I am using a homebrew 1090MHz collinear antenna. The antenna appears to be efficient, frame count drops to 30/second when I use the mag mount whip antenna supplied with the dongle.

When I start VRS, aircraft are not tracked.

I make changes to VRS via tools-options, including the 47806 port designation. However, the changes are never saved, they revert to the original incorrect defaults.

The fact that VRS will not retain my database entries is the basic problem. I must be missing some important data entry step.

I appreciate your assistance with this problem!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Your sqb will update if you have the database writer plugin. 2.0.0 Another download from VRS. Did you grab an sqb database from sbs resources?

Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I can help if you give me specific details. There were a few problems in this thread. What are you having issues with?

reconrider8

will this work for military flights or just civilian flights? and if not is there a setup that uses that dongle to track military traffic?

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Do you have to have ADSB# running at the sometime VR is running? I receive an error from VR when I try to run both at the same time.

I'm showing aircraft being tracked in ADSB# and when I run VR at the same time I don't see any aircraft being tracked. I do show that my DSR dongle is connected though.

Attachments

• ADSB# and VR screens.jpg
    ADSB# and VR screens.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Well, now Virtual Radar won't start.. Unhandled exception was caught.. Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail..

Oh well, it was fun trying..

How did you get around the exception? I'm having the same problem. I have re-installed VR several times as the administrator (run as administrator) and justas a user. I have administrator rights when I login on Win 7.

Edit 1: I had to disable my virus scanner and firewall, AVG, during the installation. Also somehow after the last installation the program is working. I don't know what I did but I'm not going to argue with success.

Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
adsb#

I noticed your adsb# settings, try changing (before you hit start) the 4 to a 3, deselect tuner agc, set ppm to 100. Then hit start. Then open VRS. Let me know if that helps. Frame rates should go up. You can also create a windows firewall excemption to allow VRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.