Virtual Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I agree ebay has them, might have to wait a couple of weeks to get them from China but they are cheap. I own three and will probably order a few more. The Nooelec was my first one, they are all very similar, they all have the same guts some have different coax connectors. This morning which is a busy flying day, I'm tracking 40-60 aircraft up to 150 miles out. Frame rates are 400-600 and I have it set up just as my previous post. I have the dongle at the antenna, a short jumper only a few inches long then I have a 50 foot powered usb from monoprice running the data downstairs to the pc.

na9i

Tracking Zero Aircraft.... Why?

I am using the setup as described in the QST article with NooElec R820T SDr and DVB-T and the homemade collinear antenna. Software is ADSB#, and VRS 2.0.1. Frame rates are 30+ (near O'Hare Airport) and data viewed by telnet.exe looks normal but I get zero aircraft tracked in VRS

Posted a screen shot of the programs running on my desktop. The receive end looks good but aircraft do not show up when I connect to 127.0.0.1 I have also download the SBS Resources for the database and have set the paths correctly.

One problem I have noted is that my setting in VRS do not seem to "stick" and I have to re-input them each time I start the program. Mode is set to Beast and Port is 48706.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Bill

Attachments

• VRS.jpg
    VRS.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 649

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I am using the setup as described in the QST article with NooElec R820T SDr and DVB-T and the homemade collinear antenna. Software is ADSB#, and VRS 2.0.1. Frame rates are 30+ (near O'Hare Airport) and data viewed by telnet.exe looks normal but I get zero aircraft tracked in VRS

Posted a screen shot of the programs running on my desktop. The receive end looks good but aircraft do not show up when I connect to 127.0.0.1 I have also download the SBS Resources for the database and have set the paths correctly.

One problem I have noted is that my setting in VRS do not seem to "stick" and I have to re-input them each time I start the program. Mode is set to Beast and Port is 48706.

Bill

Hey Bill,
Ok you loaded the sbs resourses sqb file where VRS can see it correct? You have database writer plugin enabled? Did you download sqbLite? You need that to edit your sqb. The sbs resourses sqb how big is that file? Better to get one from another forum perhaps the guys at planeplotter in your area? Flightradar24 maybe? Check those forums ask for a sqb file to get you started. Also that collinear antenna is not the greatest, the radiation pattern is flat to the horizon, good for distance if your antenna is way up high in the sky but not great for in most homes. Better antennas are out there, I use the j-pole design. Hope this info helps. Also set the adsb# to the settings I posted earlier, that should help a little.

blangell

Port 48706 is that just a typo...are both ADSB# and VRS set to 48706. Mine are set for 47806. might be why your screen shot is not showing connected.

na9i

Tracking Zero Aircraft.... Why?

Success, now tracking. Yes, I did have the port number set correctly and that was a typo in my post. Thanks for noting that... one never knows.

The last thing I did before I got it working was working on those red error messages. VRA will not save or allow settings to "stick" until the red error messages are resolved. Once resolved the settings saved and the program started working.

Yes, that collinear antenna does not work that great (maybe my construction practices). Only 30 to 40 frames/sec and most of the planes were high altitude and <50 miles out. I am only 15 miles SW of ORD so I should be see much more action. Also, rarely see an altitude less than 3500 feet.... see lots of 30,000+ altitude.

At least now the system is working and I can experiment with different antennas and settings.

Thanks for the help, na9i

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
When I enter a receiver and port number, and test it, it says a connection can be made, but when I exit the setup, it doesnt save it, and when I try to pull up the map, I get a map of England. How do you get this program to save the information?

It also keeps telling me it cant find some sqb file when it loads, but there is no sqb file in the zip. The instructions are all over, but the screen shots have all these settings that the program doesnt. Apparently they changed it since the screen shots were made.

Anyone have any current info, like step by step for an idiot, to get this program running? According to the ADSB# program, there are 9 aircraft in range right now. Just cant get this virtual Radar program to work.

blangell

When I enter a receiver and port number, and test it, it says a connection can be made, but when I exit the setup, it doesnt save it, and when I try to pull up the map, I get a map of England. How do you get this program to save the information?

It also keeps telling me it cant find some sqb file when it loads, but there is no sqb file in the zip. The instructions are all over, but the screen shots have all these settings that the program doesnt. Apparently they changed it since the screen shots were made.

Anyone have any current info, like step by step for an idiot, to get this program running? According to the ADSB# program, there are 9 aircraft in range right now. Just cant get this virtual Radar program to work.

Davelr does your receiver option box look like this?
Mine would not save until all three lines said receiver.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 573

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Blangell: Thanks, that got it to save, SHowing 8 aircraft tracked, but even though I entered my latitude and longitude, its still coming up with a map of Europe somewhere. Got a fix for that?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Figured out I had to change it on the map, I guess, after I ran it. Now showing two aircraft flying with full stats, and several flying that show no stats...Guess its working. Just using an ST2 antenna right now, havent built the 1090Mhz one yet.

blangell

....., its still coming up with a map of Europe somewhere. Got a fix for that?[/QUOTE]

No I haven't figured that one out myself. Mine usually opens with the Map of the UK, sort of like on the VRS web page however it's not doing it now

blangell

Figured out I had to change it on the map, I guess, after I ran it. Now showing two aircraft flying with full stats, and several flying that show no stats...Guess its working. Just using an ST2 antenna right now, havent built the 1090Mhz one yet.

Mine does that too, this is what I'm seeing right with the antenna that came with the dongle

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 527

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
You can go to
OPTIONS
Receiver Location

Then enter your own latitude and longitude.

Rich

Yea, I did that, but it still came up with Europe, until I actually checked the Set Location button on the map menu, and dragged the icon across the Atlantic. Now it comes up ok. Think if I had left it alone until it grabbed an airplane, it might have switched itself. Dont know. Seems to be working now. Only selects one plane at a time, sometimes two, out of the list of 7 or 8, to show on the map. Havent figured out how to get them all to display at once yet, or maybe it only displays the ones with certain criteria.

Seems I am right under one of the major east-west routes tho. Lots of planes flying over.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Turned off AGC per suggested post in thread, and manually adjusted gain to max readings on the frames/sec...and aircraft started coming in. I dont think the frames per second is the number of aircraft though, as its much higher than the reading I am getting from virtual radar aircraft tracked. Hopefully, the higher the frames/sec the better.

Second picture shows a couple planes making a loop around a severe thunderstorm I think. Wake turbulance heavy it says. This stuff is pretty interesting indeed.

Attachments

• virtualradar.jpg
    virtualradar.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 605
  • virtualradar2.jpg
    virtualradar2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 475

ra7850

Map Settings

To get the map to display for your area

See capture below. These settings will center the map on Pennsylvania

41 for Initial latitude
-75 for Initial Longitude

Attachments

• map-1.png
    map-1.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 444

ra7850

Still no planes being displayed

I've followed all of the options in this thread, Configured proper paths, set map to display my area, see the statistics of the messages being received from the adapter, but still no planes being displayed on the map.

Can anyone help?

OS - Windows XP

NooElec R820T SDR DVB-T NESDR Mini adapter - confirmed to be working

telnet test to localhost on port 47806 displays messages being received.

Status
Not open for further replies.