Virtual Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find a map of the vortac's they use. They keep routing planes to what sounds like "Meow". Ive found a couple of them when I heard them, but this one I just cant find, probably because they arent saying "meow".

Most of the flights around here traveling east/north are getting routed to "pocket city" which I found was in Indiana. There has to be a list of these somewhere, but when I google, all I find are instructions of what VOR and VORTAC are, not the actual list of them.

freqhopping

I am trying to find a map of the vortac's they use. They keep routing planes to what sounds like "Meow". Ive found a couple of them when I heard them, but this one I just cant find, probably because they arent saying "meow".

Most of the flights around here traveling east/north are getting routed to "pocket city" which I found was in Indiana. There has to be a list of these somewhere, but when I google, all I find are instructions of what VOR and VORTAC are, not the actual list of them.

I think what you are hearing is an airspace fix, not a VOR. VOR have names of actual places. Navaids are 5-character words that may or not be real words, but pronounced the way they look.

Many have local significance. In the Washington, D.C. area there are a bunch named after Redskins players. And two are series of approaches fixes are this DC Metroplex Freedom and Troops Arrivals - YouTube
And some others are STAND TGHTHR; LETZZ RLLLL; HEROO; GARDN (Guardian); VCTRY,

In your case I think you are hearing this fix. FltPlan.com NavAid Info MEEOW

This site lists every navaid by state and by spelling. https://www.fltplan.com/NavaidFixes.htm

The fixes are usually for lower altitudes and part of approach pathes to airports.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Yep, thats it. The center controller using it tells the plane "You are cleared direct to Meeow", That would be it, as its in the exact direction the plane turned to. Appreciate it.

D

DaveNF2G

There is an approach sequence out west that goes ITAWT ITAWA PUDDY TAT.

reconrider8

finally broke down and bought a dongle and im liking it so far but how do you get the silottes up and stuff im not getting any reg only icao and callsigns like this http://vvcap.net/db/MI4xrZ9K9r9o10oBZQp3.png and why is it when i check my call signs against flightaware some of them are like exact opposite then what my vr is showing like mine shows they are heading north and fa shows they are headed north

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
and how do you add that to vrs?

After you install it, write down the directory it installs all the data files to. Then go to VRS, and edit the paths for the data to point to the directory the SBS program installed them to, or just copy the data that SBS installs to the vrs data directory.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I think what you are hearing is an airspace fix, not a VOR. VOR have names of actual places. Navaids are 5-character words that may or not be real words, but pronounced the way they look.

Many have local significance. In the Washington, D.C. area there are a bunch named after Redskins players. And two are series of approaches fixes are this DC Metroplex Freedom and Troops Arrivals - YouTube
And some others are STAND TGHTHR; LETZZ RLLLL; HEROO; GARDN (Guardian); VCTRY,

In your case I think you are hearing this fix. FltPlan.com NavAid Info MEEOW

This site lists every navaid by state and by spelling. https://www.fltplan.com/NavaidFixes.htm

The fixes are usually for lower altitudes and part of approach pathes to airports.

NAVAIDs are not just 5 letter words. Airspace fixes are 5 letter words. NAVAIDs are usually named after their location so they can be any number words. NAVAID ident are 3 letters with the exception of an airport localizer which always add an "I" befor the 3 leter ident. For example Where I work we have the ACY VTAC and the ILS on Rwy 31 is IACY.

jazzbassNick

Feed Provider
finally broke down and bought a dongle and im liking it so far but how do you get the silottes up and stuff im not getting any reg only icao and callsigns like this http://vvcap.net/db/MI4xrZ9K9r9o10oBZQp3.png and why is it when i check my call signs against flightaware some of them are like exact opposite then what my vr is showing like mine shows they are heading north and fa shows they are headed north

The callsigns are often not transmitted or transmitted incorrectly. Some default to the plane's reg, some are goofs (I think it's Skywest I've seen this with), others are blank.

Whatcha using for an antenna? Makes a big diff.

I always preferred RTL1090 to ADSB# when I was running the dongle on windows. I think there's a version of Dump1090 (I use it on my RPi) for windows now.

If you want to run reports or view historical data, you'll want to make sure you install the database plugin for VRS. You can point it to the file that comes in the SBS package or the plugin can create one for you.

Last edited:

frazpo

Feel like I have a decent enough antenna to at least get something, however I am not.
Getting a thousands of messages and right now at 384 frames a sec.
Im new to this ads stuff. The programs seem to be working and connected. VR is receiving from the adsb# corrrectly. I am near a regional airport (joplin) So why all the data and no plane tracking??

Thanks in advance

Update **** I have had success. Had missed a setting. Just need silouhettes now.

Last edited:

frazpo

Is it normal to have some planes not showing on map? Most of mine are not but are updating and listed on the right side.
They pop on the map periodically so I know it works. Why do some not show??

Status
Not open for further replies.