Visalia Area CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramboton

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if there has been a change to the Visalia/Porterville area CHP base station freq? For years I have picked them up on 42.440, (pink) but for the last few weeks nothing. I still hear the cars from time to time on the car to car channel 42.760, but nothing from dispatch.

ramboton

Feed Provider
yes, checked the database, listening in the clear, no PL set.

It is weird, I am hearing them now, so maybe they had a tower out and were using one farther away from me or something.

ramboton

Feed Provider
I know they have several repeaters in the area, It is like they have switched which one is the primary repeater, I can hear County Fire get dispatched to a traffic accident, but I have about a 50% chance of hearing CHP, and it is not as clear as it used to be. In the past I would always hear them loud and clear. There have been no changes to my antenna, and everything else is loud and clear.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have had issues with the San Luis Obispo dispatch center which seem to involve a dispatcher setting up their console in some non-standard way and, thus using a repeater site that is not optimal. This went on all weekend recently and then everything was back to normal Monday. Also bear in mind that many upgrades are being done to their system. Possibly some site was taken down temporarily. I was talking to a CHP officer a few weeks ago at a special event and he was complaining the they were having trouble hearing their dispatcher. I can hear several sites at my QTH and frequently the dispatcher does not use the closest one to talk to the cars.

By the way, Coastal Division is using 700Mhz P25 extenders now. Have no trouble monitoring them with my 396T when they're in range.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
I know they have several repeaters in the area, It is like they have switched which one is the primary repeater, I can hear County Fire get dispatched to a traffic accident, but I have about a 50% chance of hearing CHP, and it is not as clear as it used to be. In the past I would always hear them loud and clear. There have been no changes to my antenna, and everything else is loud and clear.

Is it possible they went narrowband...???

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Drove through the area last night and listened to them. Visalia (67) and Porterville (40) units should be on the Pink (42.44 MHz, PL 146.2), which was briefly patched. Coalinga (88) and Hanford (68) units should be on the new Maroon 2 (45.46 MHz, PL 127.3), which was not patched.

This is what's currently listed in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.