Visiting Orlando soon... radio stores etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackHive67

Hi all,
My wife booked a holiday for us to Orlando from 4th to 14th May next. Apart from the usual tourist parks etc. I figure she'll want to do a spot of sunbathing some of the days. As I'm quite happy/secure with how I look :) .. I figure it will be an ideal opportunity to slip away and see what ham radio/scanner/electronic-radio flea market/radio surplus type of stores/events might be going on. Can any kind souls from this area offer any advice on where or what that is radio related I can visit during those dates ? It would be very much appreciated and make the trip a little more 'exciting' for me.
Terry.
Dublin, Ireland.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Skycraft for certain. Click the link for their web site.

They have all manner of decommissioned (and some new) parts and equipment from racks, buttons, power supplies, capacitors, enclosures, you name it. Plus some wacky stuff you won't find anywhere else.

I did a Google search to see if they had closed because I remember some talk a while back, but it turns out they have listed their current building for sale to move to their warehouse 1/2 mile east. That apparently hasn't happened yet so you will still find them immediately east of the always-congested Interstate 4 at the Fairbanks Avenue exit on the north side of Orlando.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Skycraft for certain. Click the link for their web site.

They have all manner of decommissioned (and some new) parts and equipment from racks, buttons, power supplies, capacitors, enclosures, you name it. Plus some wacky stuff you won't find anywhere else.

I did a Google search to see if they had closed because I remember some talk a while back, but it turns out they have listed their current building for sale to move to their warehouse 1/2 mile east. That apparently hasn't happened yet so you will still find them immediately east of the always-congested Interstate 4 at the Fairbanks Avenue exit on the north side of Orlando.

You left out to look for the flying saucer on the roof. Doubt there was ever talk of actually closing...I visit them a couple times a year and they are always busy. They need a new larger place with a better traffic pattern. They new building is more than 2 1/2 times the size of the current one.

byron

K4SIP
Premium Subscriber
They're still open (Skycraft). Was there while in town during the recent Hamcation fest weekend this past month.

Ran into a gentleman at Hamcation and on random conversation we both agreed, it would be nice if Skycraft commissioned a ham radio section of their store once in the new place, but it would probably be an issue to keep it stocked and profitable/viable, etc. :)

AES was also nice to have when it was still open.

Over on the East Coast towards Melbourne, there "was" this place called "Astro-Too" that I would visit sometimes, and it was a treasure trove of different surplus gear too. I'm not sure if they're still open or in business under that name though...

Btw Terry, enjoy your trip.

ArloG

Did a lot of shopping at Skycraft for electronic components and hardware.
A place you truly can't just walk in and out of. You have to walk every aisle!

Status
Not open for further replies.