Visiting Virginia - a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I will be visiting Virginia very soon. We will be staying in Falls Church, which is an Independant City, according to the RR database. (I assume this means it isn't considered to be in any county?) I have already made up files for Washington DC police and fire, as we will be visiting there also.

In addition, we will be visiting friends in Woodbridge. So my questions:

1. What County is Woodbridge located in? Looking to monitor mainly PD and FD.

2. What County is near or around Falls Church?

3. What County is near or around Alexandria?

4. How do I monitor the Virginia Highway Patrol in this area? I have read about the new STAR system, but is it up and running here yet? Is it currently conventional or trunked?

Thanks for the help.

dtscho

Database Admin
1. Prince William County. They use a 3600 digital trunked system. The database has good information.

2. Falls Church is sandwiched between Arlington County and Fairfax County. Arlington uses an analog Motorola system. Falls Church PD is on this system. The FD in Falls Church is actually one of Arlington County's stations, so listen to the Arlington system for them as well. Fairfax County uses a 3600 digital system for public safety, and an analog Motorola for services. Again, the database is good for these systems.

3. Alexandria is another independent city, and has its own PD/FD. They use a 3600 digital trunked system. (Arlington County is north of Alexandria, and Fairfax County is west and south, if you're wondering.)

4. STARS is not operational in Northern VA yet. Just monitor 159.0000 [127.3], 159.1350 [167.9], 154.6650 [CSQ], and 154.6950 [CSQ] for Virginia State Police.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your visit.

Dave

wfinigan

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and bring your blood pressure medicine. Last year, DC passed Los Angeles as the worst traffic in the US.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
dtscho said:
1. Prince William County. They use a 3600 digital trunked system. The database has good information.

2. Falls Church is sandwiched between Arlington County and Fairfax County. Arlington uses an analog Motorola system. Falls Church PD is on this system. The FD in Falls Church is actually one of Arlington County's stations, so listen to the Arlington system for them as well. Fairfax County uses a 3600 digital system for public safety, and an analog Motorola for services. Again, the database is good for these systems.

3. Alexandria is another independent city, and has its own PD/FD. They use a 3600 digital trunked system. (Arlington County is north of Alexandria, and Fairfax County is west and south, if you're wondering.)

4. STARS is not operational in Northern VA yet. Just monitor 159.0000 [127.3], 159.1350 [167.9], 154.6650 [CSQ], and 154.6950 [CSQ] for Virginia State Police.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your visit.

Dave

Thanks Dave. This is just what I was looking for.

And wfinigan, I am working on getting my sister-in-law to do all the driving in the DC area! :lol:

gcgrotz

W4KRR said:
Thanks Dave. This is just what I was looking for.

And wfinigan, I am working on getting my sister-in-law to do all the driving in the DC area! :lol:

You still need to bring your bp medicine!

KI4IHC

Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
We will be staying in Falls Church, which is an Independant City, according to the RR database. (I assume this means it isn't considered to be in any county?).

Well, yes and no - there is Falls Church City, which is an independent city, with their own police force, city council, schools, etc. This area is part of the Arlington Public Safety radio system.
Then there's the area of Fairfax County known as Falls Church - this area is part of Fairfax County, so is served by the Fairfax County police dept, fire dept, county gov't, etc - and uses the Fairfax County Public Safety digital system. Depending on exactly where you are, the dispatch for this area is Fairfax County Police channel 3/5 or 4/7.

The easiest way to determine if you're in the actual City of Falls Church or Fairfax County is the zip code - 22046 is the City, anything else is probably Fairfax.

Probably confused you more than anything, but I hope I helped a little.

kc4jgc

W4KRR said:
I will be visiting Virginia very soon. We will be staying in Falls Church, which is an Independant City, according to the RR database. (I assume this means it isn't considered to be in any county?)
Correct. In Virginia, Cities are not part of any county. However, a city and neighboring county may share services. Now, with new comms systems you might see much more sharing of trunked systems. Such as the case of Falls Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.