Vista will not load RS Iscan

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GKS

I've never had as much trouble with a software not wanting to load. Gets so far then it says Windows service installer error. I've tried patches, SP1 and everything else. Any ideas?

13riverking

Three OS's

I have it on 98, Vista, and Windows 7, use it mainly on Vista on a laptop with no problems, sorry im of no help, but it may not be the OS, maybe another conflict

kilowa22

I've never had as much trouble with a software not wanting to load. Gets so far then it says Windows service installer error. I've tried patches, SP1 and everything else. Any ideas?

Open up Windows explorer and navigate to the iScan executable file. Right click the file select Run as an administrator. Vista should prompt you to run as admin then execute the program. If you get the same error then most likely your iScan CD-ROM is corrupt. You can ask for a replacement at RS or borrow a friends.

N4GKS

Open up Windows explorer and navigate to the iScan executable file. Right click the file select Run as an administrator. Vista should prompt you to run as admin then execute the program. If you get the same error then most likely your iScan CD-ROM is corrupt. You can ask for a replacement at RS or borrow a friends.

I'll try that. I have it on another computer but it does not have card reader. Also, where are the frequencies located at? I can't find them on the program. Where are all the trunking channels located at if I needed to change them?

Last edited:

DonS

There should be a tab labeled "Trunked Radio Systems" along the bottom of the program's main window. If you don't see that tab, make sure "Simple Display" on the "General Settings" tab is set to Off.

N4GKS

There should be a tab labeled "Trunked Radio Systems" along the bottom of the program's main window. If you don't see that tab, make sure "Simple Display" on the "General Settings" tab is set to Off.

Thanks. If I want to delete everything in playlist 1 can I do it on the scanner itself? If so how is it done?

N4GKS

There is a section for this in the Pro-107 wiki....

Pro-107 - The RadioReference Wiki

I just went through and added section headers to make it a bit easier to find a topic

73 Mike

Great help. Thanks. I think the only real shortfall of this scanner is the fact that you have to have a card reader to load the softawre. Not everyone has a reader and every trunk scanner made in the last 10 years is programable with the cable. Strange this was not done the same way. Only one of the trunk frequencies that are in my area was good and of those you only need 4 control channels not the whole list that RR has. I supplied RR with those 4 but they have yet to be updated on the download from them to this scanner. The card also has the wrong/old frequencies in it.

73, Casey

Last edited:

DonS

Great help. Thanks. I think the only real shortfall of this scanner is the fact that you have to have a card reader to load the softawre. Not everyone has a reader and every trunk scanner made in the last 10 years is programable with the cable. Strange this was not done the same way.
It's not so strange if you consider this: if you only used up one quarter of the available space in the scanner, it would still take you more than 24 hours to transfer the data over the cable.
Only one of the trunk frequencies that are in my area was good and of those you only need 4 control channels not the whole list that RR has. I supplied RR with those 4 but they have yet to be updated on the download from them to this scanner. The card also has the wrong/old frequencies in it.
Does the RR DB show your corrections (i.e. in your web browser via the "Database" link at the top of this page)? If so, when did the corrections actually appear in the DB? The PRO-107's database is updated every Saturday morning... have you verified that you have the most recent version (you can update it from within the PC app)?

N4GKS

Well. I got the scanner programmed. Now that I understand it, with all you fellow's help, it makes sense. The card reader works great and now I have everything it it. I guess this is the future and it just took understanding it. Thanks!

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I am pretty annoyed. I run the Iscan software on the laptop, it loaded the first time and I read the card. Software totally froze.

After MULTIPLE reinstall and uninstalls, it still does not work at all besides that one time when the I-Scan main menu popped up.

So I decided to say forget "reading the card" both of my computers are 5 or so years old.

I decided just to program it by "hand" via the software too bad I can't get it to work. So I installed the software on the other computer. Both use Windows XP SP3.

Same error:"Sorry the PRO-107 iSCAN Computer programming system is already running on this computer. Only one instance of this program may run at a time."

Even CTRL ALT DEL and restarts do nothing.

I checked in start-up to see if the program is running. It seems as if Iscan is running somehow in "the background" but I can't access it via alt tab or on the task bar.

I actually like the PRO-107 so far. It would be a nice scanner to carry in a book bag or as a primary hand held. It uses 2 batteries and is thin. I don't know what else to get now that is comparable besides the PSR-700 which probably will have similar bad software.

However, I am at the end of my rope here. The software is horrible. I can't get it to work on either computer. Except one or 2 times. Its like once you install it you only have ONE chance to use it. After that even with multiple re-installs it doesn't work

I will have to return the scanner to radio shack. Back to the drawing board. I want a small scanner to carry around that doesn't use 3 batteries. Mainly because I want to monitor the trunked systems that my conventional portables won't pick up.

Have to some how find a BC-246T

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Problem fixed! Just delete the "Iscan" folder out of my documents and upgrade the Iscan software via the Iscan update link.

Status
Not open for further replies.