VLA trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Either I'm taking crazy pills, or there used to be a system marked as in use at the Very Large Array in the database.

Last year when I was set up to go to the PTRC for a week on work's dime, I scrolled around here, the FCC DB and the GMF, throwing things in radios to listen to. I have free time during the exercise and a company car and wanted to poke around, radio-wise.

Then, the Rona struck and the event was pushed to the round file.

Now, it's back on for next month and I find the system is totally missing. It doesn't even appear in the deprecated section and the freqs that were listed have been folded into the KAFB/SNL system, with nary a notation as to what happened.

Ideas?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
If I remember correctly, the VLA trunking system was summited as its own TRS. It turns out the data that was summited was the KAFB system and the VLA system never existed. The system was deleted and not changed to depreciated since was never a real system to begin with.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Maybe I am taking crazy pills.

This system doesn't appear for me in any place other than the link posted above. Not on the NM state page, including the Federal subset, not under the trunked systems tab, not on the Socorro County page, and not even by entering any one of the freqs listed in the search page for system frequencies.

Not on my desktop, tablet or phone, whether using Chrome, IE or Edge.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
They system was deleted and won't show up any more.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The system was deleted on September 5, 2020 because they VLA system was created by someone who subbmited erroneous information. A user went to the area and monitored the P25 system they could hear and it turned out to Kirtland AFB and confimred it via frequencies, TGs, and by the WACN and SystemID. I deleted the reference in the federa area today because I wasn't aware there was a reference to it there.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Got it. Makes since. I will be passing by there next month. I will have to take my scanner and see if I can find them. I use to know a guy that worked out there might ping him see what he knows. Thanks

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Sweet, let us know if you dig anything up. The area is an RF quiet zone and they don't want cellphones turned on at all when visiting.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
FWIW, I was there last week and no radios. Nothing. I caught some errant P25 VHF stuff from BIA PD's a ways off, but that's it.

Attachments

• 20210608_180409.jpg
    20210608_180409.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 21

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I used to live just east of there and for awhile south of there. Great isolated country and I enjoyed every minute of it being that way!

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
If only I could've found a decent restaurant.

Also, pronghorns really don't like being told to pose for photos.

Your short comment on the restaurants indicates you have been there.

I could sum up a couple of the restaurants in Magdalena by say "it's not a matter of saying that if you go there you might get sick, it's a matter of how soon, for how long and how bad it will be." They weren't all THAT bad, except for one on the west side of town called "Rosie's," a, you guessed it, a Mexican restaurant. At the time I was there Socorro County refused to have a health department, so the state had to step in and do restaurant inspections. Rosie's was either rated a "C" or was shut down, nothing higher. We rarely ate out in town. If we were exhausted, hungry, didn't have any food in the house (rare) and didn't want to drive to Socorro (27 miles from town - 30 miles from our house) we just went home and ate soda crackers or always had spare backpacking food. Actually, there were two places we would eat at, one was at a motel property. When USFS people came down from the Forest Supervisor's Office in Albuquerque for more than a day, they all stayed in Socorro, except for the newbies, it took a few trips until they understood.

The state agency that inspected restaurants was their environmental agency the name of which I can't remember. Yup, this was the agency that inspected toxic waste handling, water quality, chemical manufacturing/distribution, wastewater systems and such. Can you imagine a county that not only lacked a health department, but when the state mandated they did per state law, the county refused? The state charged the county for providing some services, but the county was refusing to pay.

The restaurants in Socorro were fair or above. The Owl Bar in San Antonio was legendary for its chile cheeseburgers. To eat at a very good restaurant required a trip to Albuquerque.

We had some friends who moved in for 2-3 years to teach at the school. Teachers and USFS people were the only college educated people in town, save a couple VLA employees who decided to live in town, rather than in Socorro. The VLA had an school bus painted light blue that transported employees from Socorro. The husband of these friends of ours, experienced a rabid kitty cat attacking their pre kindergarten kid in the yard of the house they were renting right in town. They managed to get the little boy inside without him getting scratched on the skin or bitten. The cat retreated into a tree. They called the sheriff's department to report this and to get some help. They got a long silence and then the dispatcher said, "so, do you have a gun, maybe a shotgun?" When our friend answered yes, the dispatcher said, "well then shoot it" and hung up.

Things are likely better now. Some people have moved in that have opened art galleries and other small businesses. They have brought in money from elsewhere. I think they might be figuring out that they can attract some tourism. The VLA set up something for visitors, a visitor center? I seem to remember they did, but might have closed it after some years.

Why was I there? I was at the beginning of my career and in a lot of government agencies, especially in public land management, you have to pay your dues when you start out. Once you do, you aren't expected to go to the less desirable locations again, as long as you are performing to standards. However, this was a great, formative experience for me. Being immersed in the Hispanic culture was very good for me. I also loved the isolation, especially on the ranger district I worked at. I learned a great deal about self reliance. From to I-40 on the north to Silver City on the south, from the Arizona state line on the west to I-25 on the east, this is one of most isolated areas in the lower 48. West of the Arizona state line the isolation continues all the way west to U.S. 191, with the area to its west being a bit isolated as well.

It is exceedingly rare to get a photo of a pronghorn standing still. There are a lot of them, or at least used to be, in that isolated country.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The VLA set up something for visitors, a visitor center? I seem to remember they did, but might have closed it after some years.

It's still there, and well worth the stop. Probably temporarily closed due to COVID, but I was through there a few years ago and probably spent about 2 hours wandering around. The sheer scale of the VLA is humbling. Watching them all move in unison was pretty amazing.

Had lunch over in Pie Town, and survived. Actually pretty good...

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
It's still there, and well worth the stop. Probably temporarily closed due to COVID, but I was through there a few years ago and probably spent about 2 hours wandering around. The sheer scale of the VLA is humbling. Watching them all move in unison was pretty amazing.

Had lunch over in Pie Town, and survived. Actually pretty good...

One of the most fascinating things to see at the VLA is the "locomotive" that moves these "dishes" around. The way it "turn" off the 3 legs of the arrangement onto a spur for each individual dish structure is amazing. Watching this all happen is "humbling" as you say. Given how much I had to travel on U.S. 60 west to the western boundary of that portion of the Cibola National Forest, I had to stop a few times when one of these was moved north and south over the highway. I never minded the delay. Another fascinating aspect is how cold the receiving portion of the antennas structures is kept. When I first moved there I kept hearing that they were kept at "absolute zero." I knew that this was only a theoretical concept at the time and so I just nodded my head when I heard this. I soon learned that the majority of the employees working there are air conditioning mechanics. I met one of the more savvy ones about 6 months after moving there. He said the getting as close to absolute zero was the goal and that the insides of those big boxes near the bottom of the structures were kept at about 8 degrees Kelvin. Zero Kelvin is when all molecular stops, yup, stationary electrons! I seem to remember zero Kelvin is just short of 460 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. I think the temperatures are now kept a couple degrees lower. The reason for this low temperature is to reduce "background noise." These are radio telescope dish antennas and all molecular motion produces RF, so having a "quiet room" helps. My 3 units of physics in college is close, or has, reached the breaking point here.

Also not very well known at all is the basin the VLA is located in. The official continental divide is on the west side of the Plains of San Augustine, the higher side. A co-worker and I took out all the 7.5 minute USFS quads of the area (now jointly USFS/USGS produced) and found that the the other sides of the basin have no drainage outlets either. So, like the more widely known continental divide split in Wyoming's Red Desert, forming the Great Divide Basin, the Plains of San Augustine is the second "divide basin."

The isolation of this region, in a basin, is exactly why the VLA is located there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They were not moving any when I was there, but they had the mover out on the tracks. Interesting setup.

The method for moving them and connecting them back to the center was amazing. I was out there during the day time, probably mid June many years ago. I'd love to be out there at night.

Jodie Foster doing the voice over for the movie they show in the visitor center was a nice touch.

footage

Premium Subscriber
It is a beautiful place, especially on a fall morning. The dishes were moving around. I was too obedient to turn on a radio but loved the pronghorn and the plague of locusts. Bought a great spectrum chart in the visitor center. Can't wait to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.