VLAW31 Talk tonight in Springfield VT

markinnh03451

Hi all,

Sounded like some detectives using VLAW 31. First time I have heard anything on it. They were def speaking about one certain vehicle 3 or 4 individual voices...no numbers, plain talk (no radio call signs heard) Hope they got the bad guys.

Best Regards

Mark

DeeEx

It’s the common VSP car-to-car and informal simplex channel since the federal interops became frowned upon for such chatter. At least four years now.

CSQ in all VSP radios as far as I know; if you’re hearing it with 156.7 it would be most likely coming from New Hampshire where that’s also a popular frequency/tone.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It’s the common VSP car-to-car and informal simplex channel since the federal interops became frowned upon for such chatter. At least four years now.

CSQ in all VSP radios as far as I know; if you’re hearing it with 156.7 it would be most likely coming from New Hampshire where that’s also a popular frequency/tone.
A few years ago I came upon CB style conversations in southern vermont on 475. Piecing it together and the word "barracks" I figured it was VSP but their database listing was fed interops. But that freq lit up often especially on nights with less than professional chatter.
Saw a facebook photo VSP car and interesting they had their usual UHF radio plus a VHF radio. Seeing all of VSP on UHF and many counties are UHF. With listings in the database on VHF VSP car to car. That's an interesting setup to have a separate car to car radio and on another band. And those being federal interop, whats the story behind that? Working close to federal agencies near the border?

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
A few years ago I came upon CB style conversations in southern vermont on 475. Piecing it together and the word "barracks" I figured it was VSP but their database listing was fed interops. But that freq lit up often especially on nights with less than professional chatter.
Saw a facebook photo VSP car and interesting they had their usual UHF radio plus a VHF radio. Seeing all of VSP on UHF and many counties are UHF. With listings in the database on VHF VSP car to car. That's an interesting setup to have a separate car to car radio and on another band. And those being federal interop, whats the story behind that? Working close to federal agencies near the border?
The Rutland and Shaftsbury VSP cars had the dual band radios so they could also communicate with the law enforcement agencies in Washington and Rensselaer Counties in New York State.

Sh3rb3rt

I sometimes see the VSP Berlin barracks using tone 156.7 on V-Law32 I keep it punched in my scanners as SEARCH though.

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
Theres a youtube video out there somewhere of a VTSP car tour where they mention UHF radios for dispatch and VHF for car to car chat.
The channels are labeled VLAW, so they should be transmitting a 156.7PL by all common programming practices

markinnh03451

All the activity I hear on VLAW31 is on 155.475. Seems to be detectives attached to Westminster VSP. I heard an acknowledgment in the 500 s but cant recall the exact number. It was very early in the morning and the voice said "...they are in there watching f**king movies" then a loud clear voice ( I assumed a base station) answered "10-4 5**" I was rather taken aback by the F word on the radio seems like taboo to me. But we live in a changing world. I am in Springfield VT and the signals were loud n clear, especially the 10-4, (which tells me its not NH) and given the crime in Springfield VT now I say go get em boys! Just please, the foul language was a surprise.

DeeEx

The 500 series VSP units would be assigned to that area.

Analog? Digital? Did you catch a tone or NAC?

Blackink

Here in Central Vermont, I get hits on the VLAW31 on 155.4750 and VLAW32 on 155.4825 both analog. Whoever they are, they're local for this area.
Sorry, I haven't gotten the tones.

ecps92

Keep in-mind, that per the NIFOG the VLAW would be 156.7, finding any other tone, it is not the NIFOG VLAW use.

There are still many users out there, using 155.4750 with their own local tones or None aka CSQ
ie: NH 155.4750 has been around for many years and was CSQ/136.5, hence not VLAW
as some agencies add VLAW to their radios both channels maybe out there, aka 1 as VLAW the other labeled (Nationwide, etc - many varieties)
Here in Central Vermont, I get hits on the VLAW31 on 155.4750 and VLAW32 on 155.4825 both analog. Whoever they are, they're local for this area.
Sorry, I haven't gotten the tones.

DeeEx

Excellent point above, about the frequency technically needing 156.7 to be national interop compliant.

The old federal interops used by VSP for informal chat had 100.0 on TX and RX— until just now I had forgotten that some police chiefs (perhaps radio shops were to blame) had 155.475 programmed with 100.0 on TX and RX, thinking they had some secret/private channel that nobody else could possibly hear. That was years ago when I first had anything to do with being in VT and by now it has probably changed.

Speaking of interesting ideas from radio shops, when I lived in MA there was a PD that was on low band. A fast food place drive through in town was as well. The radio shop programmed a “private channel” in the PD radios on a low band fast food frequency that the restaurant had the ability to select. There was no tone that I know of. A friend’s sister worked at the restaurant and told us how one busy summer day (July 4 perhaps) the manager had first shift employees use their default channel while second shift selected the frequency that matched the PD’s “private” one. They were using one frequency for drive through and another for an event in the parking lot. It was interesting when a cruiser parked at the far end of the lot and switched their 100 watt+ radio (the shop probably knew the 2 watt rule!) to that channel to discuss lunch…after some gossip about a town official!

Those who lived near Worcester about 20 years ago know precisely what I’m talking about. The person whose sister worked at the restaurant was very active in major local amateur radio clubs and told the story for months.

Last edited: