VLF: novel compact antenna developed for communicating where radios fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
"A new type of pocket-sized antenna, developed at the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, could enable mobile communication in situations where conventional radios don't work, such as under water, through the ground and over very long distances through air.
The device emits very low frequency (VLF) radiation with wavelengths of tens to hundreds of miles. These waves travel long distances beyond the horizon and can penetrate environments that would block radio waves with shorter wavelengths. While today's most powerful VLF technology requires gigantic emitters, this antenna is only four inches tall, so it could potentially be used for tasks that demand high mobility, including rescue and defense missions...

...To generate VLF radiation, the device exploits what is known as the piezoelectric effect, which converts mechanical stress to a buildup of electrical charge.
The researchers used a rod-shaped crystal of a piezoelectric material, lithium niobate, as their antenna. When they applied an oscillating electric voltage to the rod it vibrated, alternately shrinking and expanding, and this mechanical stress triggered an oscillating electric current whose electromagnetic energy then got emitted as VLF radiation...

...The researchers also found a clever way of tweaking the wavelength of the emitted radiation, he said: "We repeatedly switch the wavelength during operation, which allows us to transmit with a large bandwidth. This is key to achieving data transfer rates of more than 100 bits per second—enough to send a simple text.
"

VIA : SLAC develops novel compact antenna for communicating where radios fail

If this had posted 11 days earlier, I'd be more suspicious. Perhaps a new project for @Lauri-Coyote's ranchland?

Considering all the discussions on RR about "magic antennas and the laws of physics", I'll reserve judgement until more information becomes available. Novel idea though.

That does sound like one of my 'projects,' doesn't it ? :)--
............but I agree--- it seems to be coming a few days late.....:p

On the other hand, three weeks ago I returned from a meeting in Arizona -- a colleague's interesting neutrino investigative report about an event to occur shortly. We heard from my friend Bonnie on her research on the Prediction of a Massive Ionosphere Inversion--

Here's a portion form her abstract -

Chandra, Arizona, USA. - A team of scientists at the Chandra Dark Energy Observatory (CDEO) has shocked the physics world with a warning that Earth will soon undergo a severe ionospheric inversion. According to their paper based on data gathered over the past year, they predict that our solar system will "pass through the Orion arm of the central galactic disk of dark matter". As earth traverses the sterile neutrino field at exactly 03:14 UTC on Monday, 01 April 2019, the normal right-handed chirality will abruptly swing oppositely to left-handed spin. According to the paper, this polarity reversal will induce non-solar ion-like effects (NSILEs) into earth's magnetosphere, causing the F-layers and D-layers to reverse position.

Its quite a heavy topic.... and it happened as predicted that morning... we have yet to see how this effects our planet, but I strongly suggest interested minds do their own, further research...... :giggle:

Lauri :sneaky:

Attachments

• Dark_Matter_Disk_Sunrise_Observatory.jpg
    Dark_Matter_Disk_Sunrise_Observatory.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:

RFI-EMI-GUY

That does sound like one of my 'projects,' doesn't it ? :)--
............but I agree--- it seems to be coming a few days late.....:p

On the other hand, three weeks ago I returned from a meeting in Arizona -- a colleague's interesting neutrino investigative report about an event to occur shortly. We heard from my friend Bonnie on her research on the Prediction of a Massive Ionosphere Inversion--

Here's a portion form her abstract -

Chandra, Arizona, USA. - A team of scientists at the Chandra Dark Energy Observatory (CDEO) has shocked the physics world with a warning that Earth will soon undergo a severe ionospheric inversion. According to their paper based on data gathered over the past year, they predict that our solar system will "pass through the Orion arm of the central galactic disk of dark matter". As earth traverses the sterile neutrino field at exactly 03:14 UTC on Monday, 01 April 2019, the normal right-handed chirality will abruptly swing oppositely to left-handed spin. According to the paper, this polarity reversal will induce non-solar ion-like effects (NSILEs) into earth's magnetosphere, causing the F-layers and D-layers to reverse position.

Its quite a heavy topic.... and it happened as predicted that morning... we have yet to see how this effects our planet, but I strongly suggest interested minds do their own, further research...... :giggle:

Lauri :sneaky:

"It may take days or months for earth to recover from reversal in the dark matter field." said Dr. Simon Springel, Ph.D, of the Max Prank Institute of Science and Technology, who was reached for comment but is not an author of this study.

Max Prank Institute gave it away for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

"A new type of pocket-sized antenna, developed at the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, could enable mobile communication in situations where conventional radios don't work, such as under water, through the ground and over very long distances through air.
The device emits very low frequency (VLF) radiation with wavelengths of tens to hundreds of miles. These waves travel long distances beyond the horizon and can penetrate environments that would block radio waves with shorter wavelengths. While today's most powerful VLF technology requires gigantic emitters, this antenna is only four inches tall, so it could potentially be used for tasks that demand high mobility, including rescue and defense missions...

...To generate VLF radiation, the device exploits what is known as the piezoelectric effect, which converts mechanical stress to a buildup of electrical charge.
The researchers used a rod-shaped crystal of a piezoelectric material, lithium niobate, as their antenna. When they applied an oscillating electric voltage to the rod it vibrated, alternately shrinking and expanding, and this mechanical stress triggered an oscillating electric current whose electromagnetic energy then got emitted as VLF radiation...

...The researchers also found a clever way of tweaking the wavelength of the emitted radiation, he said: "We repeatedly switch the wavelength during operation, which allows us to transmit with a large bandwidth. This is key to achieving data transfer rates of more than 100 bits per second—enough to send a simple text.
"

VIA : SLAC develops novel compact antenna for communicating where radios fail

If this had posted 11 days earlier, I'd be more suspicious. Perhaps a new project for @Lauri-Coyote's ranchland?

Considering all the discussions on RR about "magic antennas and the laws of physics", I'll reserve judgement until more information becomes available. Novel idea though.
I dont know what novel physics this creates. If you excite a piezo electric crystal with a sine wave, it will naturally expand and contract. There will be some stray cooresponing electric and magnetic fields as in any resonant circuit. It is just a high Q resonator. And reversing the signal? Phase modulation?

If you put this in a medium like water it will transmit acoustic waves exactly like a sonar transducer.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.