Voice De-scramblers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayoubrut

I am new to the scanner community but was hoping you could answer a few questions for me. I recently acquired an actual police radio from a friend that had 2 of them. I am not able to program any frequencies in the radio as they are pre-set. However, what I am looking for is a way to de-scramble voice tranmissions from my local PD. They are starting to use "go code" more and more which is driving me crazy! I'm not an ambulance chaser but really enjoy knowing certain things first. The PD probably isn't using anything expensive but what do I need to do to fix the voice scrambling? Any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Matt

D

DaveNF2G

If you are in the United States (or certain other countries), descrambling of radio transmissions when you are not the intended recipient is a violation of federal law.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Are you talking about a radio you could actually key up and talk to police on, like one of their handheld radios? Pal, if that is the case, you have worse than a poisonous snake in your hands and you are cruising for the worst time in your life. You get caught with that and you can start kissing things goodbye!

As the man a couple of posts ahead of me said, it is illegal to try to unscramble encrypted radio transmissions not meant for you...PERIOD!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You will need to tell more about your cities police frequencies and what radio you have
And are the police frequencies programmed into your handheld radio?

Sounds like stolen police equipment to me. Why else would you have a police radio in your hand?

Talk about a hot potato.

I can just imagine it now:

(keys ups) "hey can you guys hear me, testing, one, two, three...."

Just think, you are risking a felony, and didn't even get one with an ecryption module...some friend

Didn't his mother tell him? If you are going to steal a police radio, get one from a detective or supervisor so you can get the restricted channels....

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Sounds like stolen police equipment to me. Why else would you have a police radio in your hand? Some friend. Talk about a hot potato.

we know nothing, he could be confused about a lot of stuff, we jsut have to wait and see what he says next about it

I recently acquired an actual police radio...
Matt

Hopefully you are right Chris, but that sounded pretty specific to me, and police radios get stolen around here all too often...

The chief of police for Surprise Arizona (a Phoenix metro community) had his uniform, radio, and gun stolen three days ago, as a matter of fact.

prcguy

Surplus radios from various police depts are available cheap with the transmit freqs in and ready to go, just visit the Dayton hamfest. There is no legal or moral reason that prevents anyone from owning one as long as you don't step over the line and transmit on a frequency that you are not licensed on or authorized to use.
Besides the legal problem of descrambling a transmission, except for the cheap and simple inversion type scramblers you will never be able to decode anything. What good is a scrambler if its easy to decode?
prcguy

trace1

Communications Security Threat

I am new to the scanner community but was hoping you could answer a few questions for me. I recently acquired an actual police radio from a friend that had 2 of them. I am not able to program any frequencies in the radio as they are pre-set. However, what I am looking for is a way to de-scramble voice tranmissions from my local PD. They are starting to use "go code" more and more which is driving me crazy! I'm not an ambulance chaser but really enjoy knowing certain things first. The PD probably isn't using anything expensive but what do I need to do to fix the voice scrambling? Any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Matt

The solution can only be synchronised organisational concepts. Only geeks stuck in the 90s still go for deconstructed asset options. Forward-looking companies invest in interactive monitored alignment. I can make a window to discuss your interactive administrative projections.

Our exploratory research points to optional modular programming. At base level, this just comes down to dot-com reciprocal projections. The consultants recommend optional asset contingencies. You really can't fail with remote administrative paradigm shifts.

Hope that clears things up for ya'... ;)

Surplus radios from various police depts are available cheap with the transmit freqs in and ready to go, just visit the Dayton hamfest. There is no legal or moral reason that prevents anyone from owning one as long as you don't step over the line and transmit on a frequency that you are not licensed on or authorized to use.
Besides the legal problem of descrambling a transmission, except for the cheap and simple inversion type scramblers you will never be able to decode anything. What good is a scrambler if its easy to decode?
prcguy

Well, then I stand corrected. Haven't been to the Dayton hamfest since I was a kid, so I'll take your word for it.

I can't understand though why any radio tech would release to the public something like a police radio with all the programming there so some dimwit could key up on the local PD repeater, but ok.

Let's hope this is all legit.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I can't understand though why any radio tech would release to the public something like a police radio with all the programming there so some dimwit could key up on the local PD repeater, but ok.

The radio techs seldom have anything to do with it. Call it a flawed surplus property process. Agencies that I've worked for try to remove codeplugs, channel elements, etc. but we don't always get tasked with doing that. If, for example, a car and it's equipment is surplussed, the radio may get stripped out by a mechanic, and off it goes to surplus property for disposal. The radio people never get a clue it's gone.

Let's hope this is all legit.

I recently acquired a UHF Motorola Spectra through legitimate surplus channels. It came preprogrammed for a local military base's 400 MHz trunked system, and about 30 different talk groups. Not to worry... it's on a ham band now.

SAR923

This is a drive-by posting from someone who does not have good intentions. He's asking to do something that's illegal no matter how he obtained the radio. He will not post to this thread again, he's just hoping to get some free information on how to do something that he shouldn't legally do. This thread should be locked pronto.

bayoubrut

If, for example, a car and it's equipment is surplussed, the radio may get stripped out by a mechanic, and off it goes to surplus property for disposal. The radio people never get a clue it's gone.
This is almost exactly the case. My buddy's dad owns an auto salvage company in which they purchased 4 wrecked police cars. 2 cars didn't have radios but 2 did. I guess the cars were picked up befored the radios could be removed. Whatever the case, my buddy removed the radios and gave me one of them. It has 8 pre-programmed channels and picks up very well. I do not have the piece that you can speak into because it was lost over the years. The plug in is like a telephone plug and not the traditional connector. Matter of fact, I had to ground it out by plugging it into itself in order to be able to hear the transmissions. I'll look up the model number if I think about later.

So I can not "legally" listen to the police channels "go code" conversations?

bayoubrut

This is a drive-by posting from someone who does not have good intentions. He's asking to do something that's illegal no matter how he obtained the radio. He will not post to this thread again, he's just hoping to get some free information on how to do something that he shouldn't legally do. This thread should be locked pronto.
Not the case Jim but thanks for your opinion and trust in your fellow man....

SAR923

Not the case Jim but thanks for your opinion and trust in your fellow man....

It is exactly the case. The radios were not obtained by legal means and you can't listen to encrypted broadcasts legally. Period. I have no trust in anyone who is asking us for help on how to break the law. Give this radio back to the guy who gave it to you before you get in big trouble. The PD will soon come looking for those "lost" radios.

bayoubrut

They must be waiting for the perfect time to come pick it up. It has only been 3 years....

There is also a difference between encryped transmissions and speech inversion. My local PD may be using speech inversion which is not illegal. The radio is not stolen either. The police are responsible for removing the radios if they want to.
You "perfect soul" are not looking at the important part of my question. OK, say I have a regular ole legal scanner, can I get anything to fix the voice scrambling? Being my town is small, they probably do not have a high tech scrambler.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
His description sounds like it's a Maxtrac or Radius (grounded mic line RJ style telephone jack) but who knows.

As for preprogrammed stuff... there were some astro sabers floating around on ebay that came with a keyloader, DX model too. From what I could gather they came from Ft. Meade (yea, the puzzle pallace) and were ready to roll. Of course, it doesn't matter because the whole system was obviously scrapped but you can't get closer to the "source" than that.

Then there are the freq hoppers and other associated stuff that is readily available on the used market too. The old Transcrypt stuff still works fine and will run from 148-174 at 25-50 hops a second. No scanner on the market will ever know it's there but to the user it sounds just fine.

Good clean fun... :cool:

The sky isn't falling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.