Stations Voice of Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

For those of you who like listening to VoG when propagation conditions are good, but find it too difficult under poor conditions, here's an alternative that I've found:

Browsers can open this URL and play the streaming audio. It can also be entered in the Open URL dialog of a media player, or added to a playlist file. The advantage, of course, is that there's no fading or noise level to contend with.

The station is coming in quite strong here on 9420 kHz this evening, but with lots of fading, so I'm listening to it in my media player at the moment in order to enjoy their great music. A link for media players doesn't appear on the station's website. They probably want you to use their own player, so I had to do a thorough Google search to find the direct URL of the stream.

PS: I just discovered that the above link won't open in my browser unless I clear my cache and cookies. I don't know why that's necessary, but it logs me off the forum, of course.

Last edited:

spilot113

Thanks for the link. Does Voice of Greece offer any programming in English at any time of the day?

GB46

I haven't heard anything in English in years. Unless they play an English song which has been known to happen.
I remember that they used to have a so-called English service, which consisted of a 5-minute news report at the top of the hour, reverting back to Greek after that. Now the only non-Greek broadcasts listed for them are in Arabic, Russian, Serbian and Spanish. Of course, after their Greek ID on the hour they do say a few words in perfect English: "This is Athens. You are listening to the Voice of Greece."

Since I don't understand Greek, I wait patiently through what sounds like the introduction to a song (they use the word "tragoudi", which according to Google Translate means "song"), and am usually rewarded by a nice tune. I have a media player that can record audio streams, and last night I left it on record until they played a song, then I edited out the introduction in the resulting MP3. I've collected a lot of music this way from various foreign stations on the internet.

I'd rather be hearing all that over the air, of course, but that's nearly impossible these days, considering the poor propagation and the disappearance of so many shortwave broadcasters.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I'd rather be hearing all that over the air, of course, but that's nearly impossible these days, considering the poor propagation and the disappearance of so many shortwave broadcasters.

Here, just a bit more easterly than BC, VOG is a pretty regular visitor nightly. VOG and Radio Exterior Espana can generally be counted on for a decent signal. The fact that REE does have a half-hour of English on Mon-Wed-Fri is a plus. :)

--
Mike

GB46

I haven't heard REE since I lived on the east coast, and that was ages ago when I was a kid. They used to broadcast Spanish lessons ("Spanish Without Tears"). European stations have always been harder for me to hear in the west compared with the east coast or the prairies. VOG sometimes comes in strong here, but not consistently, and even when the signal is strong there is a tremendous amount of rapid fading, probably because of the arctic path it takes to reach me. In Ohio you are likely getting them over a more direct path.

Also, your terrain is probably very different from ours. Don't forget, there are major mountain ranges east of us, specifically the Kootenays and the Rockies. The only time I look out the window and see no mountains is during smokey conditions that obscure the mountains altogether, like during the past week or so. We've had so much smoke from the wildfires south of the border that we've had to keep the windows shut and use the air conditioner if it gets too warm. We also keep a towel stuffed against the bottom of the door to our suite, because the building's ventilation system is bringing in the polluted air from outside. Conditions seem to be gradually improving now, however.

majoco

Stirrer
9420kHz 0450UTC onwards Voice of Greece peaking 20dB over S9 playing traditional Greek music - lots of talking from 0458 which I guess was the news then back to the music at 0505UTC. JRC NRD 515 and a 10 metre triangular loop antenna - grey line propagation.

GB46

9420kHz 0450UTC onwards Voice of Greece peaking 20dB over S9 playing traditional Greek music - lots of talking from 0458 which I guess was the news then back to the music at 0505UTC. JRC NRD 515 and a 10 metre triangular loop antenna - grey line propagation.
I'm listening to them right now at 04:08 UTC, but over the internet, as I can't hear them at all on SW tonight. I love Greek traditional music, including that tune in their interval signal. Sometimes they do a lot of talking between the songs, but I think it's commentary on the songs themselves.

By the way, the first surviving example of early music notation was supposedly discovered in an epitaph on an ancient Greek gravestone from as early as 200 BC. There's an article about that on Wikipedia: Seikilos epitaph - Wikipedia .

GB46

Correction: I just noticed that the Seikilos epitaph referred to above was the oldest surviving complete music composition with notation. Also, I misread the dates in the article, which gives the dates as 100 to 200 AD -- it's time to have my eyes reexamined. :oops:

On further reading it turns out that a much older composition with notation was discovered, although in fragments. It was found in Northern Syria, and dates back to 1400 BC. I wonder what it sounded like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.