Voice page q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyc_tbird_sc

Jay...you'd probably know best, but listening to the voice paging for CFD, it seems like certain dispatchers like to not give any info over the page and rather "refer to printouts".

Obviously there are certain times where discretion is needed, but what parameters are the dispatchers obligated to do this?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I've often wondered the same thing. I know there are certain types of people out there that get a rush from running to ever situation, big or small. I can see discretion when people's names are involved. I do see more of a move to secrecy [hum secret service]. I also believe that we should let the people trained in these situations handle these with the least amount of interference. However, if there is an incident that will be blocking my road/roads home/work, where my family is, I would really like to know so that I can take alternate roads. The city of Calgary has such a bad road grid lock, that it would be nice to hear about situations [fire, EMS, police] as not everyone has access to the internet even AM/FM radios. And reports on these bands are often much delayed unless someone alerts them. All I ask, as a citizen, is what area I should avoid. And hearing about a MVC at such and such eliminates that problem. The "read your Imobile or printout" doesn't. Good question, interested to see the response.

MrVelvet

My take on the situation is that its all related to time. If the dispatcher has calls on the go and even another tone to send out, they won't waste time reading out details over the station's voice page. Once the truck is on the road and has hit their on route button, there will be further voice communication with the dispatcher with added details not on the imobile or printout.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's a lot simpler than that (edit: MrVelvet beat me to it. ;) )

When another call is in queue waiting to be dispatched, we are directed by policy to voice as little as possible, i.e. "23 Pump, 12 Pump, 12 Aerial, 4 Emergency, catalogued alarm, no further voice." The "read your printout" is a holdover from the days when we didn't have I/MOBILE computers and they had to use the printed run sheets that came to the station's alarm room. Some people have kept up with that, some replace 'printout' with 'CAD' or 'I/MOBILE', etc., but I personally just say "no further voice".

So it's really just because we're busy setting up the next call to be voiced.

Last edited:

MrVelvet

Woohoo - I beat Jay! I'll make sure I mention that if I get to the interview stage of my PSC application. :D

yyc_tbird_sc

That makes sense....now that I think about it, you can usually hear the computer beeping (or making other interesting sounds) in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.