Voice Squelch on DV1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogga383

I am a new user of the DV1 and I am confused about the VSQ setting. Icom VSQ stops on signals where voice is detected during a scan, however in the manual for the DV1 it describes the use of the VSQ for “unwanted voice signals”. Surely it should operate to skip carrier tones and only stop when voice is detected?

Having great success with DMR locally plenty of use but in the clear fortunately.

wogga383

I have now had a chance to experiment and get more familiar with the DV1’s functions.

As ffor my original point VSQ voice squelch, it does indeed act as one would suspect. When scanning a memory bank it does ignore carriers and only stops on a frequency where voice is detected. Handy as there are some pesky pulse carriers on DMR, these are now ignored During scanning and searching.

There is one caveat though, I would of thought that setting VSQ on would be a generic receiver setting much like a mode, but it isn’t, VSQ must be set to “on” with each frequency in your memory bank, or each search bank. A bit cumbersome but easier if you have 3rd party software to manage your memory banks. The same applies to LSQ and NSQ settings, need to be applied to each frequency in your memory bank to function correctly.

The end result is pleasing as it is only silence until somebody actually speaks. Make sure your squelch level is at its lowest threshold of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.