• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

VoIP and 911 Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

VoIP is going to be a NIGHTMARE for 911 Centers.

Granted, if used properly, it will be a great thing.

BUT, for those wanting to cause problems or reak havoc for any 911 Operator, in won't be good at all!!!

Who is going to keep up the caller's data? Who is going to VALIDATE whatever info caller's provide to their VoIP provider? It can be used "anywhere" the user can get an Internet connection so HOW will you locate a VoIP caller who doesn't know where they are? Who will PAY foe the technology required for local 911 Centers to RECEIVE these calls? If I have my VoIP registered in Columbus, OH but drive to Cincinnati, will the call go to Columbus or Cincinnati if I dial 911?

The craziness just keeps compounding!!!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :(

seamusg

SLWilson said:
VoIP is going to be a NIGHTMARE for 911 Centers.

Granted, if used properly, it will be a great thing.

BUT, for those wanting to cause problems or reak havoc for any 911 Operator, in won't be good at all!!!

Who is going to keep up the caller's data? Who is going to VALIDATE whatever info caller's provide to their VoIP provider? It can be used "anywhere" the user can get an Internet connection so HOW will you locate a VoIP caller who doesn't know where they are? Who will PAY foe the technology required for local 911 Centers to RECEIVE these calls? If I have my VoIP registered in Columbus, OH but drive to Cincinnati, will the call go to Columbus or Cincinnati if I dial 911?

The craziness just keeps compounding!!!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :(
It is up to the VIOP provider to supply the correct info. If they use the 911 network then they must supply the correct info to the 911 database for the call to be routed correctly. The biggest problem is that the VIOP providers don't want to pay for access to the 911 network, and just route the calls to the non emerengcy numbers for the local PD or FD. When I worked on the E911 DB/ALI system it was a two part deal to get the info. First the PSAP got the phone call with ALI info then it sent the info to the E911ALI system which sent the persons name and address. I've been retired for 6 years so I'm not sure if the system is the same.

SLWilson

That's the problem

seamusg said:
It is up to the VIOP provider to supply the correct info....
:(

That's the WHOLE problem in a nutshell! We get calls every day on VARIOUS phone lines. We even get calls on our office ADMIN lines that might NOT be answered after hours. VoIP aren't the only vendors doing that either. Cingular, W.Va. Wireless and so on. We CAN'T get ANYONE at either place to fix it either. I suppose they'll just have to get SUED for not processing their customers calls correctly!!!! Steve/Gallia :( :( :(

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Premium Subscriber
We have not had a big problem with VOIP yet. Time Warner Cable offers digital phone service here in Memphis. I have noticed an increased number of VOIP 911 calls, but ALI information seems to be correct so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.