BCD436HP/BCD536HP: voltage input

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the voltage specs on the 436 are?

I ask because the 12 volt to usb I had in the truck crapped out and I going to install fast charge (2.1 amp) usb sockets in the dash.(mainly for cell phone charging) I also have a 12 volt to usb 3.0 fast charge device that I want to use in my wifes car. Can this hurt the scanner or does it only take what it's limited to? This is also not for charging the scanner, it's just to power it.

Thanks

A2210011_TD02.jpg

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that fast charges will severely shorten the life of the batteries. I limit fast charges of any of my devices (scanner, phone, etc.) to situations where the batteries must be charged in a hurry because of time constraints. At my age, those are few and far between.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner is 5V (USB). Just because an adapter can supply high current does not mean that the device plugged into it will draw more current. Devices only draw the amount of current that they need. Using the above adapter vs. a lower-current adapter will have absolutely no effect on the charge rate of the batteries in the scanner.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The radio will be fine. The USB power specification is 5VDC @ .5A. With the wide spread use of USB like power supplies and the various type of devices, the amperage of the power supply is increased if the device can use, regulate and control it. The control is in the device(radio) and will not be damaged if the power supply can supply more current than the specification. Upping the voltage is not something I have seen done in USB power supplies. That would be a problem for the control circuit and likely cause early failure in the control regulating function.

P.S. What UpMan said: :D

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the input. As stated, I was asking for the sole purpose of powering the scanner. Nothing as far as charging as I never charge in the scanner.

I just wanted to make sure any extra amperage would not be a problem.

Thanks again...

cmdrwill

Some of those cig lighter to USB "chargers" generate lots of RF noise that can swamp out signals on your scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And, some cheap USB converters are not very stable voltage-wise, and will not power the scanner.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Mega dittos on cheap USB converters/adapters. Scosche, Belkin, and Anker are brands I trust.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have been meaning to add information about a USB tester that I have found to be useful and inexpensive. As I recall it was $5 plus shipping which was reasonable and at that price point I got 3 of them. I believe total with shipping was in the $20-25 range.

I liked this one because of the internal timer so it keeps track of amp hours. Not as many digits in the current reading as I would like, but overall I find it useful to keep track of the adaptors output voltage and current. It was some of the comments in the last part of the thread that prompted adding this information. I can't say it is secondary standard accurate, but the three dongles read close enough for my needs.

Picture taken with cable on left plugged into iMac and on right plugged into iPhone taking the picture. Voltage is a little soft, but there is cable and gender changer to plug everything up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.