Voltage Level for Pro-106 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickS31

Rick, I'm using the "C" adaptaplug, and it's oriented correctly. Haven't checked the voltage, but I'll take a look at it when I get home.
:

Sounds like you have the right dog. Once you check it with your voltmeter at 9V with a positive tip you've pretty much eliminated it as the problem. Then *shudder* you may have a bad 106. If that's the case I hope you're still under warranty.

Be a shame to keep buying adapters and not having any success. May be worthwhile taking the radio to your Shack and let them try different adapters and tips. Both the B & C tips fit in the radio. Just as an aside, you do know that you have to power the radio off and then back on after inserting the adapter when the radio is already on, correct?

KK4TTR

Rick, thanks for hanging in there with me. I got home and tried the AC adapter and it worked OK. So, I went back to the car to try the DC adapter, and it worked. Different car than earlier today, but.....

I would have been annoyed if the issue really was an incompatibility between the adapters. I may not have had the 12V DC adapter seated very well in the car today. Who knows? It's nice to have it working.

To reiterate, the trouble I was having with the RS Enercell AC adapter and Enercell DC adapter, both with the "C" adaptaplug seems to be operator error, and both now appear to be working with no problems.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Are you using a 800ma or higher adapter? Lower current adapters do not supply enough power to power the radio.

GumbyCT

I may not have had the 12V DC adapter seated very well in the car today. Who knows? It's nice to have it working.
My car adapters all have an LED to show when it is making good contact at the plug. I'm not sure if the Enercell has this LED but it should.

KK4TTR

Are you using a 800ma or higher adapter? Lower current adapters do not supply enough power to power the radio.

The AC adapter is 800mA, the DC is 1000mA. The manual states "at least 500mA", and there weren't any strenuous objections posted in this thread, so I wasn't too concerned about a few milliamperes overload.

My car adapters all have an LED to show when it is making good contact at the plug. I'm not sure if the Enercell has this LED but it should.

Correct, the Enercell has an LED power indicator. Operator error on my part all the way. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.