Volume difference between digital & analog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

I'm using a BCD436HP for my live streaming. The digital reception is clear & loud..the analog reception is clear but has a lot lower volume... is there a way to equal them out?

jim202

I'm using a BCD436HP for my live streaming. The digital reception is clear & loud..the analog reception is clear but has a lot lower volume... is there a way to equal them out?

You haven't provided much for details like what band, what stations and so on.

The simple solution is to use 2 different radios. That way you can control the audio level of both feeds. My guess is that the radios are not transmitting the same TX deviation. If this is the case, your not going to solve this with one receiver.

With the migration to narrow band, many radio shops just programmed the radios from wide to narrow. They never took the time to put a service monitor on the radio to see just what the true deviation. So now we end up with TX deviation all over the place. Trying to get the radio shop to come back and look at the radios is like trying to pull teeth from a mule. Depends on the relation between the user and the radio shop. It costs money to bring the radio tech out to a radio. Who is going to pay for that trip? Some agencies have a service contract on the radios. If this is the case, maybe it could be arranged to do a test the next time the radio tech makes a call to the base station.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Try using the volume offset in your Favorites list, to "turn down" the louder one, or increase the volume on the softer transmissions.

KD8BIW

If your scanner is not able to switch to "narrow band" it will be softer. Wide band is +/- 5kHz deviation while narrow is half that. Commercial radios when switched to narrow band add a "boost" to the receive audio to make up for the lower deviation level. You may be able to find a software or hardware AGC that will equalize the audio for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JamesO

Re: Volume difference between digital & analog...

Use the Volume Offset option within the radio. Many systems have different volume levels, so it's not unusual to actually adjust/or fine tune using the Volume Offset, which is a great feature in these radios.

Another option is to use the AGC, however, this is SO POORLY DOCUMENTED and I have no idea if the AGC even works or what good baseline settings may be.

I actually use the Volume Offset in a different way where I actually increase the volume slightly on important/priority channels. This helps me identify a channel when the radio volume is lower, even if I have a channel alert configured, I used the Volume Offset and set it to +1 or +2 so I can hear and pay attention to the specific channel(s) a bit better.

Last edited:

infohou

I used the volume offset to bring down the volume of the awful HoustonFD robot but on the next boot it is loud again. Shouldn't the setting survive a shutdown/boot cycle?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

JamesO

If everything was saved properly, you should see on the display (depending on the screen setting) a V with a +/- then the value of the Volume Offset. So a positive Offset would be displayed like V+3.

See attached picture of a TDIG with a positive Volume Offset of 3.

Attachments

• Uniden BDC436HP Volume Offset Screen Shot.jpg
    Uniden BDC436HP Volume Offset Screen Shot.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.