Volume increasing on one channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSC

Help: I have tried to diagnose this but can't - RFD Dispatch volume increases big time when they dispatch a call. No other channel does this. Have downloaded the scanner into ArcXT and can't find the problem. May someone know what's going on and how this has happened, and a fix?

jim202

Help: I have tried to diagnose this but can't - RFD Dispatch volume increases big time when they dispatch a call. No other channel does this. Have downloaded the scanner into ArcXT and can't find the problem. May someone know what's going on and how this has happened, and a fix?

Have you ever considered that this is the way the station has set up their audio. It may not be correct, but that is the way it is.

You have to consider that there may be a reason why they did this to the audio level. It may also be that the radio techs have not done their job correctly and have mal adjusted the audio level.

The last possibility is that the radio system has not been narrow banded correctly. You really haven't given enough details to draw any conclusions.

Like what is the call sign of the station your commenting about? Include the frequency your listening to.

Is the audio level the same all the time even when the dispatcher is just talking to the mobiles?

Are the mobiles at the same level?

Is this a repeater your listening to?

marksmith

You can set a volume offset in most scanners to adjust the relative volume of one loud or soft channel.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

marksmith

You are not supposed to be starting the same question or thread in multiple topic areas.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

n4yek

If this is a conventional channel try setting that channel to FM instead of NFM, that will quiet the channel down.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I could see where a higher volume on a dispatch channel may be helpful for attention getting purposes. Of course the downside is that responders turn their radio's volume down and could miss traffic on other channels. But whatever works for them. . .

As was noted above, using the volume offset (use a negative value) may smoothen this out.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

I am going to guess you have either a 396XT or a 996XT.
And since you are asking about Raleigh FD are you referring to the VHF Alerting Freq of 154.370Mhz or the Wake 800Mhz TG equivalent of 34000 (RFD Alert)?
For the record the VHF Frequency was narrowbanded a long time ago and the I have not had any 800Mhz talkgroup volume issues on any of the GRE or Uniden scanners (or Motorola subscriber radios).
As others have suggested perhaps check your Volume Offset and see how it is configured.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.