Volume issue with P25 system on HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

Is there any way to increase the volume of P25 systems on the HP-1? I have VHF low, VHF, UHF and P25 systems programmed as favorites. The P25 system's volume is very low compared to the others. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JamesO

The HP1 has a Volume Offset field.

It allows you to adjust the Volume up or down relative to the baseline Volume level.

I use it to reduce a very loud patch that is annoying and I will usually bump a critial channel up +1 even if I have an alert set for the channel as it gives me a slight be more Volume and I can easily just hear the critical channel level as compared to other channels

You could also play around with the AGC settings, however, it is unclear how the AGC is implemented and I am not sure anyone has mastered the AGC functions?

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
James O, could you inform where to find the Volume Offset field, and all I see for the AGC settings is either off or on? Thanks

E-Man

Banned
I am not using FL's, I use a Pro-197 for specific programming of interest, and purchased the HP1 specifically for the DB scanning feature. The audio is either too loud or too low most of the time, very disappointing.

Thanks for the info.

LIScanner101

E-Man,

From what I know if you are using the generic DB you cannot use volume offset. You can only do customized settings at the FL level.

E-Man

Banned
Thanks LIScanner101, Seems to be a design flaw with the Unidens, as reported by other members, this flaw carries over to the new 436/536. I have never had this issue before using GRE's PSR-800, Pro-197/106/2096/96.

LIScanner101

NP E-Man. At first blush I was going to give Uniden the benefit of the doubt and say that the "main" database should remain "pristine" so that if you want to create new favorites off of it it's as close to what is on the RR "master DB". Fair enough. But then I thought - WHY? Once you capture the main db on your SD card it's technically "yours" to do whatever you wish with it. It may contain stuff that you will NEVER want to listen to, so you can delete those and you should be able to customize the volume offsets for FUTURE use on any NEW favorites you may create. So, now that I have said that, I also see this as another "bug".

dmg1969

I found the AGC and it is already on. This isn't a case where the P25 system's signal is weak...it is just quieter than the other frequencies I have programmed. Now...is the per channel volume adjustment only available on the Extreme? I'm guessing the answer is yes since I see no adjustment in the channel sidebar. And I am not using the entire database...just my favorites.

JamesO

Unfortunately Uniden does not allow Volume Offset and many other user configurable options to made in the Master Database.

You need to use the Sentinel program and append/copy from the Master Database and set up a Favorite List.

Then choose the Edit tab at the top of the page and choose Edit Favorite List.

Once inside the Edit feature for the Favorite List, you can find the Volume Offset and make changes either up or down.

Now the problem/issue you may have is what is quicker and easier? Decrease the Analog channels or Increase each Talk Group ID? There is pro and con either way, depending on how you grow your Favorite list and if the problem is with only a single Trunked system.

Check on YouTube as there may be some videos about Sentinel configuration?

Also fair WARNING. Make sure you have the appropriate System Types enabled otherwise you will miss out on some action.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel software? I didn't know you could use Sentinel with the HP-1. Thought it was only the BCD436/536.

JamesO

There are 2 different Sentinel software packages.

HomePatrol Sentinel and BCDx36HP Sentinel software.

Separate and different programs that are required for each platform (HP1 & x36HP).

Sentinel software was originally developed for the HP1. The x36HP incorporate the HP (Home Patrol) philosophy/features/capability and therefore has carried the Sentinel software forward to the new platform but changes were needed due to additional features on the x36HP platforms.

I have both a HP1 and 536 HP. I have to use both Sentinel programs for each platform for Master Database Updates, Firmware Updates, and use it for general Profile editing and Favorite List programming. There are other 3rd party software packages for both the HP1 platform and soon to be release for the x36HP platform, however, you will still need to use the Sentinel program for some of the utilities as the 3rd party programs will not fully replace the Sentinel software.

They are very similiar and luckily they appear to be written with some consistency so it is not too hard to jump back and forth between the 2 programs.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

JamesO- thanks for the Sentinel details and differences. I couldn't find that info on the Uniden site. Not saying it's not there, just that I couldn't find it and your info seemed complete and all in ine place. And especially useful since you have both the HP-1 and 536 for comparison.

dmg1969

Yes, I have favorite lists set up in the HP-1. I seldom scan from the database. Yes Mark...I use Sentinel to program the HP-1. It's a nice program. It was very simple to learn to use. I will have to check out the volume offset through a Sentinel. Thanks.

Edit: Founf the volume offset in Sentinel and made the adjustments. MUCH better.

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have favorite lists set up in the HP-1. I seldom scan from the database. Yes Mark...I use Sentinel to program the HP-1. It's a nice program. It was very simple to learn to use. I will have to check out the volume offset through a Sentinel. Thanks.

Edit: Founf the volume offset in Sentinel and made the adjustments. MUCH better.

You might turn OFF the Digital AGC just to see what happens, you may be surprised, some others have been. It did not act as they expected.

dmg1969

You might turn OFF the Digital AGC just to see what happens, you may be surprised, some others have been. It did not act as they expected.

Myabe I will give that a try to. The volume offset definitely helped. I only have the one P25 system (one favorite for police and another for fire/EMS) that I monitor and those two favorite groups were the only ones that I had volume issues with. The way I understand AGC, it is supposed to help pull in weaker signals and "tone down" very strong signals...sort of to equalize everything. Am I getting that right?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Myabe I will give that a try to. The volume offset definitely helped. I only have the one P25 system (one favorite for police and another for fire/EMS) that I monitor and those two favorite groups were the only ones that I had volume issues with. The way I understand AGC, it is supposed to help pull in weaker signals and "tone down" very strong signals...sort of to equalize everything. Am I getting that right?

This is my understanding too IF it is an RF AGC but if it is an AF AGC then it would only affect the volume.

Maybe someone who knows will jump in and tell us which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.