WS1040: Volume Knob Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC2001

Jesse
So I've had this WS1040 for a little under a year and a half. Lately, I've been noticing a crackling noise when I turn the volume knob up or down. Unfortunately, the scanner is out of warranty. So here is my question:

What steps can I take, if any, to remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance & I hope there is some, because besides this, I haven't had any major problems out of it, and it's been a good scanner since I've had it.

WB9YBM

Try to find an opening on the pot's body (you'll have to open up the radio to get at it) where you can spritz in some tuner cleaner, and rotate the volume knob several times while spritzing. BTW make sure the radio is turned OFF and leave it off until all of the tuner cleaner evaporates.

BC2001

Jesse
Try to find an opening on the pot's body (you'll have to open up the radio to get at it) where you can spritz in some tuner cleaner, and rotate the volume knob several times while spritzing. BTW make sure the radio is turned OFF and leave it off until all of the tuner cleaner evaporates.

Okay, I will try that as soon as I get some, thanks.

Also, this isn't an indication that my scanner is going out or messing up at all is it?

Nasby

Okay, I will try that as soon as I get some, thanks.

Also, this isn't an indication that my scanner is going out or messing up at all is it?

Its a very common problem caused by build up in the pot. Your scanner isn't going out.

The spritzing suggestion should fix it.

One thing to add, after you apply the lubricant, turn the knob a bunch of times at a fast pace to let the lubricant do its job.

BC2001

Jesse
Its a very common problem caused by build up in the pot. Your scanner isn't going out.

The spritzing suggestion should fix it.

One thing to add, after you apply the lubricant, turn the knob a bunch of times at a fast pace to let the lubricant do its job.

Thanks, I will do that, I appreciate the additional information.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Very common problem in those models. I have the older Pro 106 and a newer Pro 651 that both have that issue and really doesn't annoy me much as it seems to have not gotten any worse. I did spray the 106 with some deoxit some time ago and but didn't seem to help much as there didn't seem to be much of a way to spray it into the control. I believe i did get some to work its way down the volume shaft though.
There have been several threads on here in the past about it.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Even without spraying tuner cleaner into it you might find it gets better just by turning it up and down a bunch of times

WB9YBM

[/QUOTE]

I doubt there's anything to worry about. Mechanical stuff will wear out first, and that stuff's replaceable.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You can really count on I can confidently say most every to be safe, if not all the radios that use that, i.e. pro 106, pro 651 will experience this staticy situation within a week or a few more depending how much the person uses the knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.