Volume/Squelch pot is sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

glen4cindy

My scanner has been sitting unused for a time and I've decided to start listening again and I found the volume squelch pot is pretty sticky and both are turning together.

I've managed to clean it up pretty well with Deoxit except for one area of the sweep the volume part of the pot is still really sticky.

I feel if I could get the knobs off I might be able to do a bit better but I am not sure how they come off.

I've tried gently tugging on them but didn't want to pull too hard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My scanner has been sitting unused for a time and I've decided to start listening again and I found the volume squelch pot is pretty sticky and both are turning together.

I've managed to clean it up pretty well with Deoxit except for one area of the sweep the volume part of the pot is still really sticky.

I feel if I could get the knobs off I might be able to do a bit better but I am not sure how they come off.

I've tried gently tugging on them but didn't want to pull too hard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-
Most likely you just need to pull harder, but when asking for advice, it would be a big help to tell us exactly which Whistler scanner you have.

glen4cindy

-
Most likely you just need to pull harder, but when asking for advice, it would be a big help to tell us exactly which Whistler scanner you have.

My bad. I have the WS1065S.

I've been reading about how difficult this part is to find if it fails so I don't want to rip the knob off and ruin it.

I'm at a loss as to why it won't completely free itself in this one area of the sweep.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
My Radio Shack PRO2096 had the same issue. Turn one knob and the other turned with it. The control is no longer available. I took the scanner apart and sprayed electrical contact cleaner in between the inner and outer shaft thinking dirt was the cause. That helped but I still had to hold one knob when turning the other.

The knobs on the PRO2096 come off.

CycleSycho

:) Am wondering if a 'cleaner/lubricant' is being used to free up these sticky 'pots'? Cleaning them removes a lot (maybe most) of the errant oxidation (and also making sure the knobs are completely free of any skin cells/debris), but a SMALL drop of a very fine oil in the 'shafts' (like sewing machine oil) may be the answer to the small amount of continually sticky stacked pots. Might be worth looking into? Good luck! :)

glen4cindy

:) Am wondering if a 'cleaner/lubricant' is being used to free up these sticky 'pots'? Cleaning them removes a lot (maybe most) of the errant oxidation (and also making sure the knobs are completely free of any skin cells/debris), but a SMALL drop of a very fine oil in the 'shafts' (like sewing machine oil) may be the answer to the small amount of continually sticky stacked pots. Might be worth looking into? Good luck! :)

I think I may try this. I've seen Adrian Black to this with drive motors on his YouTube channel.

I've been able to remove the knobs from the shafts and spray the shaft with Deoxit.

It is now much easier to turn but there is still one region that is very tight and both knobs end up turning at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.