Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneThomas

I have a GRE 500 that the volume has stopped turning on or off. I can't turn the volume up either.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the volume to work?

Thanx

kb8rvp

I have a GRE 500 that the volume has stopped turning on or off. I can't turn the volume up either.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the volume to work?

Thanx

I would first try plugging in a pair of standard stereo headphones to see if you can hear anything. If you can it may be an issue with the headphone jack not turned the internal speaker back on when you unplug the headphones. When you plug in headphones it turns off the speaker on the scanner. Others in the past have mentioned that the headphones work but the speaker doesn't. Other times just plugging in and then unplugging the headphones is enough to get the speaker working again.

Mike

WayneThomas

volume

Unfortunately, you can barely hearing some conversation but you have to almost be on top of the scanner to hear it.
You can't turn it off or on.

I tried emailing GRE,as I have had great results in the past doing this, but this time no response.

Thanks

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I tried emailing GRE,as I have had great results in the past doing this, but this time no response.

GRE has been out of business for several years now so emailing GRE won't be very helpful.

As for the issue, it sounds like a broken potentiometer and that is possibly a bad situation. It may be hard to repair or find someone to repair as I believe the part is not standard. You may have to wait to see if RadioShack or Whistler will be able to repair or provide parts for repair.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I read in another thread that Uniden can repair other manufacturer's scanners, as long as it doesn't involve proprietary parts. Might look into that route...

ScannerSK

I'm not sure if the RadioShack version of the GRE PSR-500 unit (PRO-106) uses the same potentiometer however this is very likely. It is described as follows:

VR6 Volume/AF Control 50k (A)/10k (B)
RG82BS-2A1-B103-0EC2 or GE-03D-0200 or GR-08D-1220

RadioShack Unlimited part number: 12429163

Shawn

WayneThomas

GRE volume

Thanks for the input. I was afraid that there was not a lot of hope the scanner. I guess I will give it a good burial.
Thanks again.

n5ims

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

n5ims

The biggest problem with that is that UPMan has noted:

From what I can tell, the potentiometer likely falls under the unique to GRE model part.

Pots are about as close to a commodity part as you can get. A simple search on the mouser.com site shows 268 PAGES of pots available through them (about 7,000 different kinds). The other thing about a potentiometer is that the replacement doesn't have to be an exact match. If the value is slightly off, the worst that can happen is that the control may need to be a small fraction of a turn different for the same setting (chances are you'll never even know the difference).

The important things are:
Mounting - how does it connect to the circuit and how is it secured to the case
Shaft size(s) and shape(s) - how do the knobs fit
Resistance - max resistance the pot has
Taper - how the variable part changes as the shaft turns (audio, linear, etc.)
One or multiple controls - Volume only or volume, squelch, power switch, ...
Shaft length - how far the shaft extends from the control (note, they're easy to cut down to size if needed)

ScannerSK

Thanks for the input. I was afraid that there was not a lot of hope the scanner. I guess I will give it a good burial.
Thanks again.

I have been known to take pot's apart on several occasions and fix the original item. I definitely would not give it a good burial. Even for parts it is worth something.

I would ask a RadioShack employee how much RadioShack Unlimited (RSU) part number 12429163 costs and order one if not too much as it is likely the exact identical part in your radio. It is the pot used in the RadioShack PRO-106 which is a clone of the PSR-500.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.