volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogdecker

I have a uniden BC796D. I have the volume all the way up and can barely hear it. Is there something I can do to fix that? Or is the speaker bad in it? I"m still in the learning phase of the uniden products. At least the base setup. Thanks for any help.

rwl48

maddogdecker said:
I have a uniden BC796D. I have the volume all the way up and can barely hear it. Is there something I can do to fix that? Or is the speaker bad in it? I"m still in the learning phase of the uniden products. At least the base setup. Thanks for any help.

Try an external speaker and see if that works.

k8tmk

I have a '796 and the volume needs to be set to only about 9 o'clock for comfortable listening.

I use an external speaker because the internal speaker can easily be overdriven if you turn the volume too high.

If you are listening to conventional channels instead of digital channels, be sure to set those channels to narrow (NBFM). If you monitor both conventional and digital, still set the conventional channels to narrow as this will balance the audio level beween conventional and digital.

Randy

christenorio

maddogdecker
I own a bc296d and i do use the external speaker for listening to denver pd and the state
of colorado dtrs and sound clear

maddogdecker

the external speaker didn't help any. I'm going to try K8tmk idea. If that doesn't help does anybody know anybody that works on uniden's in the Northeast part of Indiana?

N1508J

If you have a schematic for your rig, and IF it uses a electrolytic capacitor to couple audio to the speaker from the audio amp chip, chances are that electrolytic capacitor is sick. I don't know for sure if Uniden uses that method in your rig, but I have seen PLENTY of open electrolytic coupling capacitors that cause that very problem. Of course there are other componets that can cause that same low audio effect, but that is the most simple to fix if you want to try.

SCPD

QRT
I think Uniden has a flat rate repair service for these models.
Sounds to me like it could be the volume control itself. Give it a wiggle and see if it crackles momentarily.

Otherwise sounds like it might be time to let Uniden have a go at it. They might give you a price over the phone if you call customer service.

dfw1417

Volume problem

Have you had the unit since it was new? The reason I ask is on the 780 a lot of people short out the 2w audio resistor on the board to obtain more internal speaker volume. If somehow this was a used unit and the person who shorted out the resistor did so by cutting one end of it maybe the shorting wire is loose or disconnected which would result in little or no volume at all. Just a thought!

maddogdecker said:
the external speaker didn't help any. I'm going to try K8tmk idea. If that doesn't help does anybody know anybody that works on uniden's in the Northeast part of Indiana?

Status
Not open for further replies.