Volunteering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

How many of you Volunteer? I know that some are probably ARES members, SkyWarn and other radio related things. What about any non-radio volunteering? how do you serve your fellow beings and community?

I start a new job soon and realize that it will be like a vacation for me. It will be very different to have a set 9-5 schedule. In the past few weeks I have dedicated most all my time to a few volunteer opportunities.

The main point of this post is to ask... no wait.... TELL you all to try and volunteer. Even if you can only spare a couple hours a month. I promise you that the time you give of your self to help others is more fulfilling then any paycheck.

Austin4Wyo

I work with a youth program here in Wyoming, and have since I went through the program in 2000. It's called the Wyoming Leadership Seminar, and we take sophomores from all the high schools in the state (sometimes two sophomores, if funding can be found), and bring them to Casper, WY for a three day seminar where they can see how leadership skills can be applied. We are all volunteers; no one is paid for the time they donate, and there's something like 4,000 volunteer hours committed from all our personnel (staff and community contributors throughout the year) each year.

They have the opportunity to interact on a personal level with various community and state leaders. We've always been lucky enough to have the Governor appear at our seminar (though Gerringer may as well have not, since he was always such a putz when he showed up), and until his health failed, Senator Craig Thomas never missed it. Senator John Barasso, Wyoming's Pro Tem Senator (until this year, where I'm sure he'll be elected to fill the seat), has been a part of the seminar for the last 16 years, and I imagine we'll have him this year again, though likely on Saturday instead of his traditional Friday slot. We have panels, breakout groups, plenty of team-oriented activities, and many trips to various places around the community, including the Hall of Justice, where they then meet district attorneys and participate in a mock trial (and man, are they ever shocked to see how boring real court rooms are).

The sophomores are nominated by local community service groups (Kiwanis is probably our biggest, but it varies from community to community. In my hometown, after a couple years of jumping around trying to keep funding alive, I managed to get the local AARP to take over, and they've been doing a stellar job for five years now), so there's no bias from within their high school. That means that students who might not otherwise be seen as a "leader" within school can still be nominated if they, say, work a lot outside of an academic/school setting.

Like I said, I went through program as a sophomore in 2000, when we were affiliated with Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership Seminars (HOBY). We stepped away from that organization in 2002 (I think...it might've been 2003) when HOBY changed their paradigm and wanted us to start charging the kids to attend. We had always been able to recruit students from all schools because we invited the students to attend regardless of family income. Money, in our minds, shouldn't be an issue when it comes to opportunities such as this for youth. The students are sponsored locally, and we couldn't bring ourselves to let income dictate who was "good enough" to attend. That's one of the main things I point out when I discuss what we do. So many programs for high schoolers are horribly expensive, and that limits participants to who has the means to pay for it. We've always strove to stay away from that.

Currently, I'm the Assistant Director of Staff and head of the WLS Alumni Association, which is slowly but surely growing and keeping the students involved. I also do plenty of footwork in the Southeastern part of the state for fundraising and recruiting, even sitting as the chair for local fundraising in four communities a couple years ago. I started out as a student staff member (essentially a junior counselor) the year after I went through the program, and haven't looked back. The biggest reason I'm unwilling to leave Wyoming is that I'm so dedicated to the seminar, because I'm well aware of what it did for me 8 years ago. Not often do you get the opportunity to touch lives and give kids a leg up like that, and I'm not looking to quit anytime soon.

car2back

I was a vollie firefighter for 3 years, then a reserve (volunteer) police officer for a few months; I have also recently started helping out with the boy scout troop I was a member of when I got my Eagle, it's very um, educating to be on the other side of that scenario :lol:

elk2370bruce

Besides RACES/ARES/SKYWARN, I served as a Scout Leader for 20 years, soccer coach, and an emergency management volunteer for 40+ years (back to the days when it was called Civil Defense). If you want to live in a free and democratic society such as ours, you've got to put something back for others to replace what was freely given to each of us. I've never regretted minute of my service time. Positive change only occurs when we get involved in making the world a better place for someone else. Naive? Perhaps. Gratifying? Defintely.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Bruce, you also forgot the countless hours volunteered for the NJ State Park Service coordinating the "Lost in the Woods" Program, the "Basic Map & Compass Skills" challenge, the NJ Fish/Wildlife "Take Me Fishing Day," and the proposed and implementation of re-routing the various trails within the Cheesequake State Park network. I also worked with Bruce, both on a seasonal worker paid level and volunteer level (through the Boy Scouts) on the above reference projects, and continue to do so (time permitting). Well rewarding experience, and have met many new contacts along the way.

mrova

chaplain

I was a volunteer chaplain with Chesterfield County Police Department - '91 to '96.

Volunteer race team chaplain for Motor Racing Outreach '92 to 2006. I had the #90 Winston Cup (that's what it used to be called) team here in Richmond...Junie Donlavey, car owner.

When the team finally got out of racing, I finally left MRO as chaplain and went back to be a volunteer chaplain with Chesterfield County Police (2006 to present).

Steve

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Vollied as a fire fighter for six years, now I offer my free time to give massages to hot female midgets :D

rabidjade

I put in 6 years with a volunteer fire department. Left it due to differences of how they did things and wish there was another department in the area to join.

hoser147

Thats what got me started in my career as a Firefighter Paramedic. Do a little Cert stuff on the support side now. Good thing if ya got the time and are interested.Hats of to those that do in any way..................Hoser

wogggieee

I do skywarn. I also have done computer work for a local historical society. helping them upgrade and setup their computers and troubleshooting issues. I've been out of work for the past two months and they had some extra money in the budget so the director offered to pay me for some work, so its turned into a part time job. Now I'm running an online auction site we have for our upcoming spring event. if you're interested in bidding (all money goes to the historical society) check it out. http://www.whitebearhistory.org/cgi-bin/auction/auction.pl I'll also be doing photography for them at upcoming events this summer.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I was volunteering 20-30hrs p/wk with the local and state republican committees during election seasons before I could even vote. Stopped doing this when I went to college. I then turned into a bedwetting liberal. Then I graduated and started paying taxes and tried finding a "real" job. I'm now more conservative than I ever was. I'd love to go back but i'm not sure if the repubs are "conservative" or even if the dems are really "liberal" anymore. I'd like my volunteering to make a difference at some level, but it seems that the parties have public interest groups and lobbies to take care of that and volunteers are no longer thought leaders but more of background music and sign holders. Its all business now anyways, and I guess business is my business. At some point I know I will be dispatched to D.C., Paris, London, Tokyo, Pretoria, Beijing, Mumbai, Berlin, Tel Aviv amongst other capitals and have to decipher their wheels of government. Different names, same games. What flag are they offering today?

I'd like to give back some time to volunteering for the scouting movement after all that I had gotten out of it. It is one of the few organizations that the right person giving time and enthusiasm will do more good, than giving it any ammount of money would do for it. Time is a bit of an issue, but for who isnt it an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.