Volusia County EDACS and P25 (00A.91F82)

edweirdFL

The affiliations and active TGs I have seen are at Volusia County (P25) unknown talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki

I will typically run DSD+ FL for multiple hours in a given week and then review the logs, but I don't spend much time listening live or recording traffic right now. For now nothing in the event logs show any additional sites as active.

I've been focused on the FL Fleet Talk and Suntalk systems for ID'ing new TGs lately and will focus on racetrack related stuff in the coming weeks as the activity there peaks.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i am convinced that the only way to run DSD+ effectively is with two AirSpy SDRs (or two "real" RTL-SDRs - not the chinese ones) - the only difference between the two is that the AirSpy SDRs have about double the bandwidth of the RTL-SDRs --- but for trunk tracking and/or DSD+ type applications, either will work.

to "trunk track" and decode voice --- you really need 2 SDRs. It can apparently be done one only one SDR, but I've never been able to make it work.

if you only want to decode the data stream, then one SDR is adequate.

you also need to pay the $10 for the DSD+ fastlane release. It's worth it. Some of the issues you typed up have been addressed as far as setting the system up. Note ---- you have to have the fastlane release to decode P25 Phase 2. The free version does not do that.

doug

Reactions: 902

i am convinced that the only way to run DSD+ effectively is with two AirSpy SDRs (or two "real" RTL-SDRs - not the chinese ones) - the only difference between the two is that the AirSpy SDRs have about double the bandwidth of the RTL-SDRs --- but for trunk tracking and/or DSD+ type applications, either will work.

to "trunk track" and decode voice --- you really need 2 SDRs. It can apparently be done one only one SDR, but I've never been able to make it work.

if you only want to decode the data stream, then one SDR is adequate.

you also need to pay the $10 for the DSD+ fastlane release. It's worth it. Some of the issues you typed up have been addressed as far as setting the system up. Note ---- you have to have the fastlane release to decode P25 Phase 2. The free version does not do that.

doug
Thanks, Doug.

I sent them $25 for fastlane earlier today and got the link in reply email a few hours ago. What version AirSpy are you using? I've got to set up a desktop that I'll have DSD+ living on. I've got an SDRPlay RS1 that I messed around with, but never really learned how to use. Not sure if that will do anything, but I've got some time to learn.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Doug.

I sent them $25 for fastlane earlier today and got the link in reply email a few hours ago. What version AirSpy are you using? I've got to set up a desktop that I'll have DSD+ living on. I've got an SDRPlay RS1 that I messed around with, but never really learned how to use. Not sure if that will do anything, but I've got some time to learn.
I don't have sdrplay I believe youtube might have something on how to set up etc.....

batdude

Thanks, Doug.

AirSpy R2

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Doug,

Ya know where to find me. If you really have an interest I'd be glad to help you out. Pretty sure you are using FL. To trunk track with one dongle, simply tune FMP24|FMPA to the control channel, make sure Direct Linking is enabled between FMP* and DSDPlus, and then in the DSDPlus main window go to Control --> Combined CC/VC Monitor.

Once you do that, it'll sit on the CC and monitor CC data until a voice comm (for a radio or TG that you dont have locked out) occurs -- then it will switch to the voice frequency until the transmission ends. Then it will return to the CC. (just like the typical trunktracking scanner).

Mike

Doug,

Ya know where to find me. If you really have an interest I'd be glad to help you out. Pretty sure you are using FL. To trunk track with one dongle, simply tune FMP24|FMPA to the control channel, make sure Direct Linking is enabled between FMP* and DSDPlus, and then in the DSDPlus main window go to Control --> Combined CC/VC Monitor.

Once you do that, it'll sit on the CC and monitor CC data until a voice comm (for a radio or TG that you dont have locked out) occurs -- then it will switch to the voice frequency until the transmission ends. Then it will return to the CC. (just like the typical trunktracking scanner).

Mike
Mike, what kind of SDRs are you using for your configuration? At the moment, I'm just using discriminator out (and still trying to figure things out), but need to start playing with more advanced configs if I want to get seriously into this.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike, what kind of SDRs are you using for your configuration? At the moment, I'm just using discriminator out (and still trying to figure things out), but need to start playing with more advanced configs if I want to get seriously into this.

I have Airspy R2s, Airspy Minis, RTL Dongles, an RSP1. I haven't used the RSP1 in ages. None of them are in use at this very moment in time because I recently moved and don't have things set up. But I'm pretty familiar with using all of them with DSDPlus.

When using a discriminator, you don't use FMP-anything. I use DSDPlus Fast Lane and have for years. I can't help you with non-FL.

For discriminator:
1. Open DSDPlus FL
2. In the DSDPlus Event Log Window (where the menu system is):

Control --> Passive Digital Monitor
Input --> <select your audio input device here)
Output --> <select your audio output device / speakers here)

That's pretty much it. You then go find a control channel on the device with the discriminator tap.

PS: I'm willing to help anyone who needs some help (and already has a discriminator tap or dongle or Airspy / RSP) and the latest DSDPlus Fast Lane. But anyone wanting assistance should start a thread in the proper forum (the one about software decoding) so that I'm not forced to hijack @batdude 's threads lol.

Mike

I have Airspy R2s, Airspy Minis, RTL Dongles, an RSP1. I haven't used the RSP1 in ages. None of them are in use at this very moment in time because I recently moved and don't have things set up. But I'm pretty familiar with using all of them with DSDPlus.

When using a discriminator, you don't use FMP-anything. I use DSDPlus Fast Lane and have for years. I can't help you with non-FL.

For discriminator:
1. Open DSDPlus FL
2. In the DSDPlus Event Log Window (where the menu system is):

Control --> Passive Digital Monitor
Input --> <select your audio input device here)
Output --> <select your audio output device / speakers here)

That's pretty much it. You then go find a control channel on the device with the discriminator tap.

PS: I'm willing to help anyone who needs some help (and already has a discriminator tap or dongle or Airspy / RSP) and the latest DSDPlus Fast Lane. But anyone wanting assistance should start a thread in the proper forum (the one about software decoding) so that I'm not forced to hijack @batdude 's threads lol.

Mike
Thank you, Mike! I have an RSP1 (original version) that doesn't seem to work. I read in some various places that only the "a" version works, but I don't know that for sure. I'm very green with DSD+.

batdude

As a point of interest, I could not copy the Volusia P25 system from the Daytona Speedway. Even from an elevated position.

doug

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone on the west side of the county give an update on what traffic they are seeing on the site there?

TheRadioGuru

News from the County of Volusia: Volusia County’s public safety radio system to get $24.6 million upgrade

In this modern age, effective and reliable communications is essential. In an emergency, it can be a matter of life and death. Years in the making, a $24.6 million upgrade to Volusia County’s public safety radio system earned the County Council’s unanimous approval on Tuesday.

All first responders in Volusia County – law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services – rely on the radio system to communicate with each other in the field, receive real-time updates and stay connected to the dispatch center while responding to emergencies. The existing 800 MHz system, which supports more than 9,000 radios, is nearly 30 years old and the technology has reached the end of its life cycle. In many cases, replacement parts are no longer available. Meanwhile, public safety radio needs have advanced beyond the capability of the units currently in use.

Developed by public safety professionals, P25 standards for two-way radio systems have become the industry norm because of its enhanced reliability and the ability for radios on different radio systems to communicate with each other regardless of the manufacturer. Interoperability, or the ability to effectively connect with other radio systems, is particularly important in fast-moving events that involve multiple jurisdictions. In fact, it’s absolutely crucial for the safety and protection of both residents and responding officers.

“It is critical that the county’s public safety land mobile radio be upgraded to a modern P25 system now to ensure the continued reliability of public safety communication,” the county stated in a 2019 document seeking bidders for the new system.

The county has been planning for years for the new system and the related costs. On Tuesday, while approving the project, council members said the expense is an absolute necessity.

Last year, the County Council selected Communications International, Inc. of Vero Beach, the same company that implemented its original radio system, to implement the new P25 system. Because of the complexity of the project, the contract took months to write and negotiate. On Tuesday, the culmination of years of planning resulted in the council approving the spending of $24,657,650.97 to upgrade the radio system. The bulk of the money, about $23.5 million, is for the system backbone such as tower site equipment and dispatch consoles as well as approximately 3,300 new radios as well as upgrades to existing radios. The contract also includes maintenance for 17 years after the system is completed.

“We all know we must maintain and update our communications infrastructure. It’s so important,” said Councilwoman Heather Post.

“This is not a want. This is an absolute necessity,” added Councilman Ben Johnson. “This is something that’s so important to our public safety that we just cannot overlook it.”

As part of the upgrade, the county plans to increase the number of towers from 13 to 15 to improve radio coverage. One of the new towers is in Bunnell, a site that the county is sharing with Flagler County. The other new one is planned to be built on Lake Harney Road in Osteen. The expenditures that the council approved on Tuesday included $1 million for structural analysis, engineering and modifications of existing towers. There’s another $110,000 to pay for permitting and wetlands mitigation for the Osteen tower site and $35,000 for the infrastructure requirements associated with a replacement tower site in Barberville.

Sheriff Mike Chitwood, whose deputies are one of the biggest users of the radio system, expressed gratitude for the improved system that’s coming and said the public will be safer because of it.

“This is a crucial technology upgrade that will ensure our first responders have a state-of-the-art lifeline to get help where it's needed,” Sheriff Chitwood said. “Our men and women in uniform are better equipped and our residents and visitors are safer thanks to this move, and I'm grateful to the County Council, administration and every member of staff for their foresight on this project."

The entire project is expected to take approximately 2½ years to complete.