Volusia County New system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyPager

I am hearing rumours that Volusia County will have a new system in operation in the late September or October time frame. The EDACS is going away. Has anyone information or can confirm or deny?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

CanesFan95

Given the high cost of these systems, at what point do governments settle down and just stick with what they've got?

shadcall

Given the high cost of these systems, at what point do governments settle down and just stick with what they've got?

Volusia has to change because EDACS will no longer be supported by Harris. At some point all the spare parts will be gone and you will not be able to repair any of the radios. So it's not a matter of staying with what we have. This makes change a necessity.

CanesFan95

So it's a game by the corporations by intentionally discontinuing stuff so you have spend more money. If agencies used conventional instead of proprietary trunking systems, would this sort of problem go away?

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing rumours that Volusia County will have a new system in operation in the late September or October time frame. The EDACS is going away. Has anyone information or can confirm or deny?

Last I heard was 2015. It's possible they might have the system partially operational by then but I seriously doubt they will have made much of a transition that fast. I'm steadily seeing more and more of the XG-25P's issued. But there's still a lot of jaguars and p7100s out there.

They aren't upgrading the software on the p7100s for p25. I guess they did a cost/benefit and decided not to bother.

I do know there will be some encryption used on the new system. I would expect all of the swat, narcotics and vice stuff to be at least. Last I heard the LE# talkgroups would be in the clear. I don't know about DBPD but I would hazard a guess it would be cost prohibitive for them to encrypt their dispatch channels--and it would be an interop problem.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
So it's a game by the corporations by intentionally discontinuing stuff so you have spend more money. If agencies used conventional instead of proprietary trunking systems, would this sort of problem go away?

I'm not saying these radio contracts are always well vetted but this is sort of like complaining your pentium II isn't good enough anymore.

Also, when you make the transition to p25 p2 you get essentially double the bandwidth, which is neat.

shadcall

I do know there will be some encryption used on the new system. I would expect all of the swat, narcotics and vice stuff to be at least. Last I heard the LE# talkgroups would be in the clear. I don't know about DBPD but I would hazard a guess it would be cost prohibitive for them to encrypt their dispatch channels--and it would be an interop problem.

What's your source for this?

So it's a game by the corporations by intentionally discontinuing stuff so you have spend more money.
Yes, you've got it. Or, they sell things in response to manufactured crises, like narrowbanding (which didn't get us any more frequencies, but surely killed off a good number of working radios) and 800 rebanding (which was in response to a situation a leading manufacturer created).

If agencies used conventional instead of proprietary trunking systems, would this sort of problem go away?
No. Look at low band. The manufacturers have deliberately removed much of the buyers' choices in equipment. The underlying reason is that low band is largely infrastructure independent. That means that mobile radios can communicate over longer distances and varying terrain without needing repeaters. That doesn't sell radios any more than building them solidly, as they did with Motrac, Micor, MASTR-Pro, MASTR II, or RCA 1000 vintage. If radios don't break or go "unsupported," there's no need to replace them. Prior generations took pride in balancing salesmanship and workmanship. Our current crop of managers only wants revenue.

The deeper answer is a dual edged sword: trunking makes more efficient use of radio spectrum. All of the little systems in Volusia were largely replaced by 14 or 15 channels of wide area coverage. A small agency or user doesn't have to build a duplicate (or quintuplicate) system just for their own use and let it lie fallow 16 hours out of the day and completely unused 2 days a week. All of the resources are shared.

However - this degree of efficiency kills off competition. There's one shop around. No one else can come in and sell a competitive product. P25 addresses that... but only if the standard is not adulterated with proprietary elements.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
I know pro-voice was talked about a few years ago when I still worked for one of the local departments, they were told that it would make scanning impossible, I explained that there was a way around it, and could be monitored , that was the last I heard any more about it but I did move away

radiomanNJ1

Just wondering if you are still watching a black and white TV. If it still worked. Oh wait a minute old TV's no longer work without a convertor. Do you have that?

Are you still using an Apple II plus computer? If not why did you upgrade?

Electronics, like everything else in our disposable world has a finite life. Scanning is a hobby and it's not always cheap.

MASTRTECH

Last I heard was 2015. It's possible they might have the system partially operational by then but I seriously doubt they will have made much of a transition that fast. I'm steadily seeing more and more of the XG-25P's issued. But there's still a lot of jaguars and p7100s out there.

They aren't upgrading the software on the p7100s for p25. I guess they did a cost/benefit and decided not to bother.

Actually, P7100's can and have been up-graded to P25. I have done many up-grades.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I found this gem today. Looks like CI/Harris took too long getting the phase 1 system up that they will give the county phase 2 as a consolation prize.

I haven't heard any official word on this though. This might also explain why they aren't bothering with the P7100 upgrades since those don't do phase 2 as far as I know.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
What's intersecting is that when I was down there a week and a half ago none of the firefighters or officers I talked to knew anything about it. Matter of fact it was the first any of them had heard about it.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
What's intersecting is that when I was down there a week and a half ago none of the firefighters or officers I talked to knew anything about it. Matter of fact it was the first any of them had heard about it.

Not unusual. Most radio users don't care about that sort of thing.

trooper890

Volusia

Don't get too excited. This is a console project, not the RF infrastructure.

P25 is a good ways off....

radiomanNJ1

Hey Homey do you still have your brownie film camera? Do you have your black and white tv?

Wait till they encrypt everything and then you can give you scanner away.

Status
Not open for further replies.