Volusia County EDACS and P25 (00A.91F82)

Aaron_0924

Premium Subscriber
I do not think there is enough voice traffic on the P25 system for it to be (currently) worthwhile to monitor. I could be wrong - I am not local to this system, but it seems that all the radio traffic on P25 is just ported over from the analog EDACS system --- meaning there are not currently P25 radios in the field.

however, for EDACS, you need to download Unitrunker, it will work with SDRs (Airspy and RTL-SDR) and track EDACS. Also, perhaps this is obvious, but analog EDACS scanners (used) are very cheap - and very effective at trunk-tracking this system. There is not enough digital traffic on the Volusia EDACS system to justify purchasing a ProVoice capable scanner - so any of the older Uniden scanners (analog) that can trunk-track will work fine until the switchover to P25 - no one seems to know the answer to "when" - my guess would be some time in 2024.
Thanks for the info. Ill try Unitrunker with my RTL-SDRs tonight and see if I can hear any Volusia traffic. If it works out maybe I'll pick up a Uniden for mobile. For a home base setup is there a specific antenna I should be using? Im assuming a 700-800 mhz one, but all i can find are tiny mobile ones.

billy2047

📶 🕨 Ø T₁ ÆS Ⱬ ⬜ ᴴ L |→| 𝅘𝅥 💾 🛰️ 🔋
I've only logged talkgroups 301 and 104 monitoring holly hill P25 site during my stay there. You should be able to pick up TG 301 using SDR Trunk holding on TG 301.

For TG 104 (LE 4) it's a bit tricky due to the fact that they're utilizing simulselect patching several subgroups together into a supergroup 65XXX (e.g. TG 102 and 104 are patched into 65XXX supergroup), you will only hear TG 104 traffic if you hold SDR Trunk on the 65XXX supergroup, not TG 104. Keep in mind that those 65XXX supergroups are dynamically assigned, meaning they'll randomly changing from time to time throughout. The only time they seem to drop simulselect patching is during 10-33 in which central announces "emergency traffic" then the patches drop then you'd be able to monitoring each subgroup individually.

Coming from MOTO land, simulselect patching seems weird to me.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
When I travel through I try to scan for new sites seems nothing new since Nov.

Ah ok. I haven't been down there in a while, but it seems like nothing new on the east side of Volusia.

Im not too sure about the layout of the New P25 System, but I expect it to be something similar to how the EDACS is set up.

gulf155

I know nothing about police scanners, so I apologize for the noob questions. You have to start somewhere. I'm interested in monitoring fire/ems/police traffic in New Smyrna Beach, southeast Volusia county.
Are the comm systems encrypted, or can I buy a radio to monitor this traffic?
If so, can someone recommend a radio that would work from my home (not vehicle).
Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.

gulf155

I know nothing about police scanners, so I apologize for the noob questions. You have to start somewhere. I'm interested in monitoring fire/ems/police traffic in New Smyrna Beach, southeast Volusia county.
Are the comm systems encrypted, or can I buy a radio to monitor this traffic?
If so, can someone recommend a radio that would work from my home (not vehicle).
Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.
To further clarify my questions above, I am not looking to find a radio for encrypted public safety channels, which I believe is illegal. I am wondering if it is worth buying something like a Uniden HomePatrol-1 or a similar scanner, or would I be buying a boat anchor if the public safety traffic in my area is all encrypted and not available for me to scan.
I did read some posts on this thread from May 2023, but apparently the situation is fluid, and I'm trying to find out how conditions are today for scanning public safety comms.
Again, thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.

Aaron_0924

Premium Subscriber
Having an issue. I was using unitrunker to monitor volusia edacs 199 for a couple weeks at the end of December but for the past 2 weeks i've been having issues decoding. The signal vfo never gets to 100%. It comes through for maybe 10 seconds at around -40 RSI and then jumps to -60 and the green decode drops out. i'm getting no voice traffic on VFO2 or call data either. just sporadic clear voice on the control - all 4 frequencies.

any ideas? also I may be able to help with P25 monitoring. but would need some coaching. i'm new to this but got 2 sdrs and a diamond discone in Debary. :)

billy2047

📶 🕨 Ø T₁ ÆS Ⱬ ⬜ ᴴ L |→| 𝅘𝅥 💾 🛰️ 🔋
Having an issue. I was using unitrunker to monitor volusia edacs 199 for a couple weeks at the end of December but for the past 2 weeks i've been having issues decoding. The signal vfo never gets to 100%. It comes through for maybe 10 seconds at around -40 RSI and then jumps to -60 and the green decode drops out. i'm getting no voice traffic on VFO2 or call data either. just sporadic clear voice on the control - all 4 frequencies.

any ideas? also I may be able to help with P25 monitoring. but would need some coaching. i'm new to this but got 2 sdrs and a diamond discone in Debary. :)
I've had trouble trunk tracking some of the EDACS' LCNs during my stay there last month (which I posted about earlier). I think they did some system work sometime last year and some of the LCNs in the DB could be now out of order now, but I could be wrong. As for the P25 site (851.1), last I check back in december they were still utilizing simulselect patches over from EDACS