Vortex 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

starwtc

How many times when listening to your scanner would just like to be able to talk back to the people? Tonight vortex 2 was in our area storm chasing and the roads they were going to be on were not the ones we would have been on with the trucks they had, but what could I do but listen. Still great fun to hear them but gosh, just wish I could have said, not there, it's a cow trail!! Oh when they drove by our house the batteries in our camera were dead, but the TIV looked great, just missed a Kodak moment!
Ted

redhelmet13

Dows on 151.94 , each team is on a different freq. I had the list, somone posted it somewhere on the forums. FYI... They have laptops in each vehicle with chat ability - text messages passed over the laptops about deployment, logistics and such.

starwtc

This is the list that I used. Last night they drove and stayed in North Platte at Quality Inn just in case you want to look at the "team".

The Center for Severe Weather Research operates the Doppler on Wheels, a team of mobile weather research vehicles, including Doppler radar trucks.
Frequency Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
161.50000 M CSQ Vortex DOW 1 Radar Team Coordination Primary FM Federal
161.40000 M CSQ Vortex DOW 2 Radar Team Coordination Secondary FM Federal
151.94000 M CSQ VortexTelemt Doppler on Wheels / Tornado Pod Telemetry -- Primary FM Other
151.82000 M CSQ VortexTelemt Doppler on Wheels / Tornado Pod Telemetry -- Secondary FM Other
158.40000 M 203.5 PL Vortex CSWR Center for Severe Weather Research -- Doppler on Wheels FM Other

Research Teams
These research teams have their own channels to coordinate their tasks during the project. Each team has a leader who has two radios -- one on the Field Coordinator's frequency and the other on their team's channel.

Frequency Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
161.30000 M CSQ Vortex Pod 1 Tornado Pod Teams -- Primary (also called "In Situ 1") used for DOW to TIV communications FM Federal
161.20000 M CSQ Vortex Pod 2 Tornado Pod Teams -- Secondary FM Federal
151.70000 M CSQ VortexMsnet1 Mobile Mesonet Teams -- Primary FM Other
151.76000 M CSQ VortexMsnet2 Mobile Mesonet Teams -- Secondary FM Other
161.00000 M CSQ VortexStick1 StickNet Teams -- Primary FM Federal
160.90000 M CSQ VortexStick2 StickNet Teams -- Secondary FM Federal
160.85000 M CSQ Vortex Drone UAS Team -- Unmanned Aerial Surveillance Drones FM Federal
160.80000 M CSQ VortexBaloon Photogrammetric -- Weather Balloon Teams FM Federal
163.10000 M CSQ NSSL Vortex1 National Severe Storms Lab Simplex -- Channel 1 FM Federal
165.43750 RM CSQ NSSL Vortex2 National Severe Storms Lab Repeater -- Channel 2 FM Federal
161.10000 M CSQ NSSL Vortex3 National Severe Storms Lab -- Channel 3 FM Federal

VORTEX 2 runs from May 1 through June 15, 2010 and involves weather research vehicles (including mobile radars, and mobile mesonets) across the southern plains. NSSL is the coordinating agency for the various participants.

Travel mode is on channel one simplex (163.100 MHz). When on site, a mobile repeater (Channel 2 -- 165.4375MHz) in the Field Coordinator (FC) van can be activated to aid communications between vehicles. The FC acts as the net control operator. Channel 3 (161.100MHz) is used for communications that don't involve all vehicles.

Channel 3 (161.100MHz) is used for communications that don't involve all vehicles.

You may want to research that frequency starwtc. That is a AAR Railroad assigned frequency. But I guess hearing Mike Bettes giving out tornado locations near me would be helpful while out performing railroad operations!

starwtc

Ya I know, at work I found out the RR was 5kc down but at home being not as close to the RR yard I did not get the over lap. Found the freqs on an OK thread! Still had a great time listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.