voxcall beta - VOX recorder and uploader for Broadcastify Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Hi everyone,

I've put together a simple VOX audio recorder with support for uploading the recorded files to Broadcastify Calls. This is intended for use with single channel (non-scanning) receivers. Details and download links for Windows and Pi can be found here:

voxcall_screenshot.png

It can also be used without Broadcastify Calls integration as a standalone VOX recorder, if desired. Nothing fancy, but does the job.

Issue reports via github are preferred but you can report problems here as well.

Andy

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wow, this is very exciting Andy. Thank you for your development efforts.

This closes a gap we had with Broadcastify Calls, and that is a solution to provide a simple calls upload app for a single analog or digital channel. I'll update the Broadcastify Calls Docs to include this ASAP.

If you are interested in uploading calls to Broadcastify Calls... see:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @aaknitt this is amazing and I appreciate your efforts

Tried it out for recording and this works good on a trunked systems held on a single talkgroup. I'm really happy about this. I'm assuming the same would work to feed BC?

Last edited:

DC31

Feed Provider
Wow, this is very exciting Andy. Thank you for your development efforts.

This closes a gap we had with Broadcastify Calls, and that is a solution to provide a simple calls upload app for a single analog or digital channel. I'll update the Broadcastify Calls Docs to include this ASAP.

If you are interested in uploading calls to Broadcastify Calls... see:

If my Calls connection goes down, will I get a notification as I do with my regular feeds?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks @aaknitt this is amazing and I appreciate your efforts

Tried it out for recording and this works good on a trunked systems held on a single talkgroup. I'm really happy about this. I'm assuming the same would work to feed BC?
I'm not sure yet. I might be able to provision the system as a trunked system capture and you just could specify the talkgroup in the talkgroup field for VoxCall.. but I'm not sure why you'd want to sit a trunking receiver on a single talkgroup when you could just invest a few bucks in a RTL-SDR and send the whole system.

davidVT

Feed Provider
Trying to run this stand alone on a new Pi4 buster.
I believe I should be able to grab a stream from one of my production TTD units.
VLC on the new Pi4 can see and shows the stream.
Getting that into pulse is my challenge tonight.

At this point the Vox recorder does save the credentials to the config.cfg file.
On restart the credentials are properly restored.

I do believe my audio process choice is the problem thus far.
vovcall.py:263 ... divide byzero....log10
The program seems to stay running with zero audio of course.

I will revert to audio usb tomorrow if I can not make a go of this.
The first try was an SDR. This stream attempt is my second try.
DavidVT

Last edited:

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I do believe my audio process choice is the problem thus far.
vovcall.py:263 ... divide byzero....log10
The program seems to stay running with zero audio of course.

Ahh...I had actually fixed that bug once and it made its way back in. I'll get a fix in the works...that's going to cause problems with any audio source that doesn't have normal analog noise in the stream.

Andy

davidVT

Feed Provider
With a little hand holding guidance from DC31 I seem to have success.
My old reliable wheezy pi TTDv67 ish is streaming the radio over to this new pi4 buster. I am seeing 'upload ok' on Andy's software...

The recordings sound off a bit. But I do see Vermont on the directory now!!

Last edited:

DC31

Feed Provider
I have had voxcall set up and running on a raspberry pi4 for a couple weeks now. I found it quite easy to set up and to run. So far, it has proven to be very reliable.

Good work, Andy.

GeekNJ

Would any PI that supports adding a USB sound device work here or is there a minimum PI required?

If using a scanner for a single conventionalPD frequency and feeding scannercast, can I split the audio and sent to both to provide a Calls feed as well as my current feed?

GeekNJ

Another question on voxcall ... I just recently started a Broadcastify feed with a spare scanner serving a single conventional PD frequency that wasn't covered by another feed. I have that feed going to a Windows machine running scannercast. Could I just run Voxcall on the same machine using the same input device and send it to Calls? A Windows input audio device isn't exclusive to a single running app like a serial port, is it?

GeekNJ

Aaknitt - Just FYI that the link to the Windows download was blocked by AVG anti-virus due to radioetcetera.site flagged as blacklisted. I then download and transferred from my Mac, but when executing voxcall.exe AVG quarantined it as infected with FileRepMalware. I submitted it as a possible false positive.

I can make an exception to run voxcall.exe , but if I'm getting the alerts, others might too. I know, AV programs stink, but they are necessary,

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Aaknitt - Just FYI that the link to the Windows download was blocked by AVG anti-virus due to radioetcetera.site flagged as blacklisted. I then download and transferred from my Mac, but when executing voxcall.exe AVG quarantined it as infected with FileRepMalware. I submitted it as a possible false positive.

I can make an exception to run voxcall.exe , but if I'm getting the alerts, others might too. I know, AV programs stink, but they are necessary,

@GeekNJ @aaknitt Got the same false positive when I tried to download the update, but not the original. Took me a while to figure out what the problem was because notifications for AVG had gotten shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.