VP Debates; U of U, Oct. 7th - Lots of comms coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
With the Vice Presidential debates coming early next month we can expect a lot of comms activity over the next few weeks. I am guessing there will be local activity on SLC PD Talkgroups, U of U PD, and likely several "Event" or "Ops" channels. I do not normally monitor much federal but can imagine it's going to be all sorts of comms. There also will be tons of media outlets. It's going to be a scanner buffet. Please post any finds over the next couple of weeks to this thread.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Try monitoring NIFOG Federal Channels. Sometimes they patch them to Local TRS systems.

n1das

Feds will be encrypted.
Not always...

- Chris

What ChrisP said.

I enjoyed a monitoring treat at UNH in Durham NH back in 1988 before, during, and after the Democratic debate which was held at UNH. There was LOTS of Secret Service activity on their Tango and Charlie channels. Because of so many protectors needed for so many protectees, there was not enough "new" Motorola analog radios w/ENC to go around. The Secret Service had to break out their stash of ancient Motorola analog bricks having NO encryption. The end result was that more than 90% of comms by the Secret Service was in the clear and easily monitorable.

More recently (1990s) during a debate in Manchester NH, USSS comms were encrypted and the PD conveniently provided a way to listen. As status updates were given by an officer, a USSS portable was heard chattering in the background and the officer was repeating everything that was said verbatim.

There is a lot that can be learned by exploiting holes in the system.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
With a Senior White House Advisor Hope Hicks now positive with Covid-19 it's possible it could have implications with the debate. It's not known currently if VP Pence had been with Ms. Hicks or any of his staff may have been possibly infected. There are numerous people that potentially could be involved that would likely be coming to SLC as White House staff. Going to be interesting to see how this develops.

danesgs

In an election year anything is possible. As far as USSS frequencies don't forget those folks also rely on specially made cell phones that are pretty much beyond your consumer variety for comms as well. Advanced teams likely will be there 2-3 weeks in advance of any event to secure the surroundings, ID potential bad actors, remove mailboxes, setup sniper nests etc. The COVID monkey wrench though could put things into a less stressed circumstance, but Uncle Sam's Super Snoopers are never really relaxed when it comes to this stuff.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
As of now the debate is still scheduled (I'm still doubtful) and some preparations have continued. Yesterday, another Special Forces MC-130J arrived at SLC. Some road closures are also being announced:

On October 7th, at or near the University of Utah:
• 200 S between University Ave and 13th E will be completely closed
• University Ave between 100 and 340 S will be closed to northbound traffic (potentially both lanes may be closed)
• 100 S between University St and 1455 East will be completely closed
• 13th East will be open to local traffic only (no thru traffic)

Downtown, additional changes due to accommodations (anticipated for Oct 5 – 8th):
• 200 S between West Temple and Main Street closed to eastbound traffic
• Main street from 200-300 S will be closed to southbound traffic

Rolling street closures can happen anytime during the date periods listed above. Expect changes the day of the debate.

In Town for the VP Debate? Here Are Some Fun, Socially-Distanced Ways to Enjoy SLC

The downtown closure starting on the 5th is of interest. Could Hotel Monaco be VP hotel? Maybe WH Staff? Of note, in the past months, there have been several times military helicopters have practiced landing on the Wells Fargo building basically across the street.

As to comms that is still a bit of an unknown other than the obvious local talkgroups.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Harris and staffers are in Salt Lake, arriving on N450WC which remains on the ground at Salt Lake City Int'l Airport.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
VP Pence is now enroute to SLC, expected to arrive between 5-6:30 based on TFR. He will be staying at the Hotel Monaco. It has not been announced if any other engagements will occur before the debates Wednesday. Lots of security measures already in place all around town.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
VP Pence is now enroute to SLC, expected to arrive between 5-6:30 based on TFR. He will be staying at the Hotel Monaco. It has not been announced if any other engagements will occur before the debates Wednesday. Lots of security measures already in place all around town.

Headed NW over Ohio now, doesn't seem like a direct route.

Last edited:

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
Not going to list the active talkgroups in this case but just wanted to ask everyone:

Are we having fun yet???

Man, I have heard some really interesting things, some of which actually effectively break security measures. Without specifics, I will just say its a BUNCH of talk groups that have so far been involved. Tomorrow is going to be mind-boggling.

Premium Subscriber
Leaving work now... I’ll check it out when I get home. Not sure what I’m looking for, but I’ll give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.