• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VP5230 Disable key alias display when tx and enable backlight on tx

MikeOrlando02

Hello,

Turning to the experts for some advice after consulting google and the help documentation We have EFJ's VP5230 and there are two programming options we were hoping were possible to better control.

The radio briefly displays the ten-character key alias when transmitting, changing channels, and switching between the clear and secure modes.
This results in 2 seconds of being "blind" when transmitting on a secure frequency. You can only see the key alias (or HW KEY 1 if you delete the alias) for a few seconds before the screen returns to the frequency label so there is no way to confirm you are on the correct channel. Can this be disabled?

Backlight on TX
I found an option to turn the backlight on when receiving, but is there an option to turn it on during transmit? Makes it more user friendly in the dark vs. having to click the backlight button to see what frequency you are on.

Thanks, stay safe!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
SECURE NAME; I will have to look into that, I will send an email to tech support for a better answer. This however will probably fix MAYBE

Programmed Channels Only On Display - When enabled, this feature skips any unprogrammed channels in a zone and only displays programmed channels in that zone. This feature is always valid on the Viking Mobile radio. It is valid on the Viking Portable radio when using the Channel Up and Channel Down functions or when the rotary control is programmed for Channel Select and the Free-Spinning Mode option is enabled, using radio Firmware Version 8.32.x or later. (This is not a valid feature for radio Firmware Versions earlier than 8.32.x when using the Rotary Control for Channel Select.)

1680304630299.png

Backlight on key press, ptt is not with the Viking series, only NX.

MikeOrlando02

@kd4efm - Thanks for the direction. We current have this "programmed channels only display" option checked so I will try it without when I get back to my office and have access to my programming cable. Appreciate the help!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
From Tech Support

Evans,

In regards to the first issue. This was an intentional change, we already have a feature enhancement put in that I will get you added to that would allow this to be manipulated by a checkbox.

Currently there is no way to do backlight on PTT/Tx unless you just press and hold the backlight button and leave the backlight on. If wanted, we could put in a new feature request that would add a third checkbox that would allow backlight on PTT.

Best Regards,

Zane Fox | Technical Support Administrator

MikeOrlando02

Thank you for the research. Unfortunately, unchecking "programmed channels only display" does not change the behavior of displaying the key alias for 2 seconds when transmitting. I am glad to year they area considering an enhancement option to allow that to be a user selectable feature.

I learned something new about the backlight button, I did not realize a press and hold would leave the backlight on. Better than nothing, but if there is an option to turn on the backlight on RX and would great to have the opposite possible on TX.

Thanks again.