VPN and Router Settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbritton1201

Captain1201
I have Express VPN on my router, and the VPN has no port forwarding feature. When I try to access the router itself, which is a Netgear Nighthawk, Model R7000, I only get access to the settings page for the VPN, and can't go into the actual Netgear router settings. Even if I could, I suspect the VPN wouldn't port forward anyway because the VPN doesn't have that feature.

I assume I'll probably have to uninstall the VPN from the router to access the Netgear router's setup page in order to change the setting to port forwarding, which means I'll sacrifice haing the VPN on my network. Has anobody had this same obstacle to setting up their SDS200 for cell phone reception? If,so, please advise how you solved this problem.

Thanks again!

Randy B.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
This sounds like a limitation of your router. I have done port forwarding on tunnels before and it generally requires a device that exposes more configuration parameters to the admin.

rbritton1201

Captain1201
I did check with VPN Customer Service, but they advised that my version of Express VPN had no port forwarding setting. My router, a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 has port forwarding, but you can't get through the VPN to access its port forwarding feature. Since it's add-on software to the Netgear router, and not an actual VPN router with a port forwarding setting, I'm out of luck unless I cancel Express VPN, and turn off the VPN or uninsatall it. from the Netgear router.

Express VPN has routers for sale that have VPN and port forwarding, but then I would have to buy yet another router, and the Netgear Nighthawk router isn't that old. I was hoping there might be some "work around" short of taking VPN off the Netgear Router, so I can accomplish port forwarding without having to reset the Netgear Nighthawk router to factory default in order to be able to reach the Netgear Nighthawk router's port forwarding feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.